[Vision2020] School director fired after racial graduation comment

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Thu May 14 22:38:24 PDT 2015

Paul!!   You don't get it.  You just don't.  This issue isn't as black and white as you want it to be.  It's woefully imbalanced and therein lies the problem.  The sad reality is that there has been racial injustice in this country for hundreds of years especially in the dirty South.  So when you have a situation where a white principle makes a racist comment in a Confederate State which already has an appalling history of racial strife, there's no amount of damage control that can be applied by the perpetrator to unring that bell.  She could have resigned in disgrace instead of being summarily fired, I suppose, but the end result is still the same in that she's purged from the school.  Good riddance.

In your not quite so parallel universe, the comments are being made by a minority assistant professor in a Northern State that has a rich history of freedom and equality including being the first state in the union to legalize same sex marriage.  On the one hand, the principle's comments are adding fuel to an existing toxic environment in a region of the country saturated with hatred and prejudice.  On the other hand, the assistant professor's comments are akin to food for thought and there's no harm that can come from them.  Her comments aren't inciting riots and they could be used to spark productive conversations about race relations and so-called 'white privilege'.  Instead we've already reached the dreaded "'Nuff said" stage so I guess I get the last word on this topic and thus can declare victory with my opinion reigning supreme over all others just as God intended.

-Scott