[Vision2020] Nuart theater will be changing hands

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Wed May 13 04:02:41 PDT 2015

Courtesy of today's (May 13, 2015) Lewiston Tribune.

---------------------------------------
Historic Moscow theater will be changing hands
MOSCOW - Moscow's iconic 1935 Nuart Theater is getting new owners after being run for 11 years by the Community Christian Ministries.
The local nondenominational board is in the process of finalizing the building's sale to Moscow-based Canon Press, after deciding it no longer had enough staff and financial support to make the theater viable, said Manager Eric Engerbretson. The Nuart closed Friday and will remain closed through the summer.
Terms of the sale were not available Tuesday.
Community Christian Ministries is a local nonprofit organization comprised of seven churches that offer outreach ministry. Engerbretson, who has worked in his role for the organization since 2001, said the group purchased the Nuart Theater in 2004 to have a larger space for its bookstore and to create additional ways to meet people.
Prior to moving into the Nuart, the organization had a bookstore called Redhawk Crossing located in a building on Sixth Street that now houses the sandwich shop Stax. Engerbretson said he remodeled the Nuart after the organization bought it to create a lounge space and coffee shop.
"We've done a free movie here almost every Friday night for 11 years," said Engerbretson, a member of the Community Christian Ministries board.
The theater also has offered movies and concerts throughout the years, as well as served as a classroom for students at New Saint Andrews College and service space for Resonate Church on Sunday mornings. The goal has always been to create a space for people who would like to learn about Christianity, Engerbretson said.
Canon Press intends to remodel the theater this summer to turn it into an events and convention center that will be available to the community, Engerbretson said. He was unsure of when the work would be completed or when the theater would reopen.
Representatives from Canon Press could not be reached for comment Tuesday. Engerbretson said the company, also located in downtown Moscow, plans to continue allowing New Saint Andrews College and Resonate Church to use the space.
"Once it's remodeled, it will be just a much nicer facility for the community to use ... it's gotten a bit run down because we just haven't had the money to do the repairs needed," he said.
The Nuart Theater has also held a block party for eight of the past 11 years, bringing in musicians to play in the streets. Engerbretson said it's disappointing to no longer be able to have the party and he knows some people will be sad about it, but giving to support the organization has gone down in recent years.
"That was just me," he said. "I did it myself. It was my idea."
Engerbretson did all the work for the party with the exception of tasks completed by volunteers on the day of the festival, he said. Volunteers were also the people who maintained some of the daily operations of the theater.
Community Christian Ministries, located at 518 S. Main St., will remain open next door to the Nuart Theater to offer literature and counseling. The organization is also planning to have a sale for the Nuart's furniture, appliances and other stock items.
"It's very bittersweet for sure because I really sunk my heart and soul into this for 15 years," Engerbretson said.

Stay tuned, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com