[Vision2020] Ted Cruz launches 2016 presidential run

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Mon Mar 23 16:02:18 PDT 2015

On 3/23/2015 2:27 PM, Tom Hansen wrote:
> Gary Crabtree suggests . . .
>
> "BHO's mom was a US citizen so he is too."
>
> The citizenship of BHO's mother had nothing to do with BHO's
> citizenship.  BHO was born . . . in 1964 . . . in Hawaii (five years
> after Hawaii and Alaska attained statehood).
>
> The Constitution REQUIRES that presidents be at least 35 years of age
> and "naturally born" in the United States.
>
> Clause 5 of the Constitution of the United States
>
> "No Person except a *_natural born Citizen_*, or a Citizen of the
> United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall
> be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be
> eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of
> thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the
> United States."
>
> Nope.  No mention of mommies or daddies.

Since we currently lack a SCotUS-approved definition of the phrase
"natural born citizen," we'll just have to consider the matter before
adjudication, which is not to say prejudicially.  After being surprised
at the Court's ruling in the Citizens' United case, I am willing to give
the Court credit for the ability to foist a much wider range of judicial
abominations upon us.  For example, natural born might be interpreted to
exclude caesarian births, even though common sense might suggest that is
an unreasonable and unnecessary restriction on possible presidential
candidacy.  But it is a view that might be used to make mischief, and so
ought to be included in any formulary of foul fenestrations utilizable
to allow even more evil into political discourse.  However, since we
have not (yet) heard from the C-sectioners, we may allow that one to rest.

On the other hand, it may well be that the American electorate is
approaching not merely a paucity, but an outright extinction of eligible
naturally born citizens eligible to run for the presidency.  If the
SCotUS were to define naturally born citizen as one whose mother did not
consume any foods with artificial preservatives, unnatural additives, or
other artificially-manufactured substances while she was pregnant and
carrying the potential president to term, the generally-available
American diet might well so reduce the number of eligible persons that
the rolls of potential candidates might be reduced to such low levels
that . . . what? . . . that the powers that be might have to grow
presidential candidates in special breed-and-feed lots using actual
natural foods to ensure a sufficient quantity of eligible potentials to
allow an acceptable choice of candidate to be harvested from the farm?
Aside from the possibility that such a program would actually widen the
breadth of the genealogical tree from which presidential candidates
might be chosen, we might examine with some concern not only the
nativity of candidate's origins but the naturality of their prenatal and
postnatal diets on their presidential timbre.  Pork rinds, but no
broccoli?  Obviously, we can do better than that.

Ken