[Vision2020] Fwd: Question . . .

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 18 17:28:23 PDT 2015

Tom, you answered your own question, then, since your link indicates it
handles 78 rpm . . . and assuming you don't mind spending money at Walmart,
although I know that particular brand is available through many retailers.

I didn't buy a special turntable -- I use my regular turntable hooked to a
pre-amp that hooks directly  to my PC's sound card.  It works fine for my
purposes, but I'm not an audiophile.  Ted is and knows far more about this
stuff than I could ever hope to understand, but I do agree with him about
MP3 format.  YMMV.

For me, the huge problem is finding the time to convert our extensive LP
collection to digital format.  It's a real time process, and even with no
post-recording processing, it still takes a lot of time.  I only managed to
find time to convert a handful of LPs before needing to move on to other
projects.  <sigh>

Saundra

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015, at 05:09 PM, Moscow Cares wrote:

> FYI -
>
> Walmart has a converter turntable for $80.
>
> http://www.walmart.com/ip/ION-IT47-Classic-LP-Converter/39577145

> http://www.MoscowCares.com[1]
>
> Tom Hansen
> Moscow, Idaho
>
> "There's room at the top they are telling you still.
> But first you must learn how to smile as you kill,
> If you want to be like the folks on the hill."
>
> - John Lennon
>

> On Mar 18, 2015, at 4:33 PM, Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Obviously, you need a turntable that plays 78 rpm, with the appropriate
>> cartridge and phono stage, which can be complicated with different RIAA
>> curves, etc.  If the 78 is mono, it might be best to use a mono
>> cartridge.  Once you have an analog signal to digitize, the process is
>> the same as for 33 or 45 rpm... obviously,...though why employ the
>> dreadful MP3 codec, when modern digital recording and data storage
>> renders much higher resolution digital audio formats very easy and cheap?
>>
>> I recently read an article about the history of recorded music, which
>> declared MP3s to be the first time in the history of recorded music that
>> a widespread adopted music format resulted in a degradation of sound
>> quality!
>>
>> You might call Kimbrough Hall Room 360
>> 		Phone: (509) 335-3305[2] Kemble Stout Music
>>     Listening Library at WSU,
>> which  "features state-of-the-art listening and recording equipment."
>>
>> http://libarts.wsu.edu/music/facilities/ksmll.htm
>>
>> They might be able to help or know who could help.
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

>>  List services made available by First Step Internet,
>> http://www.fsr.net