[Vision2020] Fw: Special Edition: Secrets of Staying Young

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Mar 5 16:45:49 PST 2015

-----Original Message-----
Subject:  Special Edition: Secrets of Staying Young
From: "Scientific American" <news at email.scientificamerican.com>
To: lfalen at turbonet.com
Date: 03/05/15 20:18:24

Staying sharp into old age is not just a matter of winning the genetic lotteryTo view this email as a web page, go here.
You received this email because you opted-in to receive email from Scientific American.
To ensure delivery please add news at email.scientificamerican.com to your address book.

Special Edition Highlights

 Buy Now Long Live the Humans Modern genomes and ancient mummies offer clues to why the life span of Homo sapiens far exceeds that of other primates
Heather Pringle
Why Can't We Live Forever? As we grow old, our cells begin to betray us
Thomas Kirkwood
The Myth of Antioxidants The idea that free radicals cause aging and that vitamins might preserve our youth is now in doubt
Melinda Wenner Moyer
Why Women Live Longer Stress alone does not explain the longevity gap
Thomas Kirkwood
The Evolution of Grandparents The rise of senior citizens may have played a big role in the success of our species
Rachel Caspari
Memory in Old Age: Not a Lost Cause Researchers have found ways to lessen age-related forgetfulness
Hal Arkowitz,Scott O. Lilienfeld
Slowing Age-Based Memory Loss To improve recall of words and faces, try associating them with locations
Shelly Fan
It's Not Dementia, It's Your Heart Medication Are cholesterol-lowering drugs causing dementia-like symptoms in some patients?
Melinda Wenner Moyer
Fit Body, Fit Mind? Staying sharp into old age is not just a matter of winning the genetic lottery
Christopher Hertzog,Arthur F. Kramer,Robert S. Wilson,Ulman Lindenberger
Why Exercise Works Magic Being active is good for us for many reasons beyond the old familiar ones
Shari S. Bassuk,Timothy S. Church,JoAnn E. Manson
Killer Chairs Standing more could lower risk for obesity, illness and death, studies suggest
James Levine
Is Fasting Good for You? Intermittent fasting might improve health, at least according to research in animals
David Stipp
Mortal Thoughts Contemplating our mortality can ease our angst and make our lives more meaningful
Michael W. Wiederman
Alzheimer's: Forestalling the Darkness Drugs administered before symptoms appear could be key to combating the leading cause of dementia
Gary Stix
Scanning for Alzheimer's A new test can identify the disorder's early stages. How will it help patients?
Ingfei Chen
The Regenerating Brain New methods for growing and transplanting cells offer hope for treating Parkinson’s and other degenerative diseases
Lydia Denworth
Never Too Old for Chemo As the number of older patients with cancer soars, researchers explore how best to treat them
Claudia Wallis
A New Path to Longevity Researchers have uncovered an ancient mechanism that retards aging. Drugs that tweaked it could well postpone cancer, diabetes and other diseases of old age
David Stipp
The Oldest Old People in their late 90s or older are often fitter than those 20 years younger. Traditional views of aging may need rethinking
Thomas T. Perls
If Humans Were Built to Last We would look a lot different if evolution had designed the human body to work well for a century or more
S. Jay Olshansky,Bruce A. Carnes,Robert N. Butler
Which Creatures Live the Longest? The key indicator for animals may be total energy expended over a lifetime
Fred Guterl

Follow Us:

 Unsubscribe | Subscribe | FAQs | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
This message was sent to: lfalen at turbonet.com
Check out our New Products!
Scientific American
75 Varick St
New York, NY, 10013
Scientific American is a trademark of Scientific American, Inc., used with permission
© 2015 Scientific American, a division of Nature America, Inc.