[Vision2020] FW: Dean of Students Resigns

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Tue Mar 3 06:39:53 PST 2015

Once again the Greek system gets special treatment and the rules don't apply
to them.

Rose Huskey

http://www.uiargonaut.com/2015/03/02/dean-of-students-resigns-fiji-lawyer-sa
ys-sanctions-dropped/

Dean of Students resigns; FIJI lawyer says sanctions dropped

Submitted by  <http://www.uiargonaut.com/author/kaitlyn-krasselt/> Kaitlyn
Krasselt on 03.02.2015 - 10:57 pm

UI to redo investigation of FIJI hazing allegations, lawyer says

University of Idaho Dean of Students Craig Chatriand confirmed Monday he
will resign from the university effective March 9.

Chatriand said his decision came after a conflict could not be resolved with
the alumni of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, more commonly known as FIJI.
FIJI lawyer John Bradbury confirmed Monday that sanctions previously levied
against the house by the Dean of Students Office have been dropped and the
incidents that led to them would be reinvestigated.

 <http://www.uiargonaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/chatriandcropped.jpg>
Craig Chatriand in his office Monday afternoon.

Craig Chatriand

In his role as dean of students, Chatriand oversees the Greek advisory
office. The Dean of Students Office confirmed last week that FIJI had been
sanctioned by the Greek office following an investigation of hazing
allegations. Greek adviser Brittany Bowles declined comment last week on the
individuals involved or the details of the allegations, but said FIJI house
leadership accepted the sanctions imposed Feb. 19 by the Dean of Students
Office.

Despite the house's initial acceptance of the sanctions, FIJI continued to
explore options relating to the sanctions and the process by which they were
arrived, contacting Interim Provost and Executive Vice-President Katherine
Aiken.

"We were extremely disappointed in how this process was handled," Bradbury
said.

Bradbury said the university's new investigation will begin with review from
the Greek Community Standards Board.

Aiken declined to comment on either investigation or the removal of the
sanctions. She said she was informed of Chatriand's resignation by his
supervisor Jean Kim, vice provost for student affairs and enrollment
management. Kim did not return a request for comment on the situation as of
press time.

"I have been grateful for his service," Aiken said of Chatriand.

Chatriand would not discuss details of the initial investigation but said he
believed he was not being allowed to do the job the way he saw fit.

"There's situations that involve campus safety that I'm not able to address
in the way they need to be addressed," Chatriand said. "It's better to have
a person in this seat who can do that more effectively than I have been able
to."

Chatriand took over the position at the beginning of January following the
retirement of long-time Dean of Students and Vice Provost for Student
Affairs Bruce Pitman. He previously served as the associate dean of students
beginning in 2012, and prior to that served as the assistant director for
student success for University Housing.

Chatriand said he will work through the end of the week to wrap up any loose
ends related to his job.

"I have enjoyed working with UI students tremendously," Chatriand said. "I
have enjoyed the colleagues and opportunities available here . But when we
feel we can't do the foundational work of our job, it's time to step away
and let someone else try."