[Vision2020] Fwd: Finally! Woman to be on new $10 bill

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 20:23:57 PDT 2015

Jeanette Rankin.

>From Wikipedia:

*Jeannette Pickering Rankin* (June 11, 1880 – May 18, 1973) was the first
woman elected to the United States Congress
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress>, in 1916 and again
in 1940, from the state of Montana <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana>.[
2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannette_Rankin#cite_note-obit-2> After
winning her House
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._House_of_Representatives> seat in 1916
she said, "I may be the first woman member of Congress but I won’t be the
last."[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannette_Rankin#cite_note-WIC-3>

Rankin's two terms in Congress coincided with U.S. entry into both World
Wars <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wars>. A lifelong pacifist
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifist>, she was one of 56 members of
Congress who voted against entry
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_declaration_of_war_on_Germany_(1917)>
into World War I <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I> in 1917, and
the only member of Congress to vote against declaring war on Japan
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_declaration_of_war_upon_Japan>
after the attack on Pearl Harbor
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor> in 1941.[3]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannette_Rankin#cite_note-WIC-3>[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannette_Rankin#cite_note-4> In addition,
she was the only woman to cast a Congressional vote in favor of the
Constitutional
Amendment
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution>
granting women unconditional voting rights.