[Vision2020] Fw: X-rays of Buddha statue reveal mummy, and scientists plan to stop a killer asteroid

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Feb 26 16:51:55 PST 2015

-----Original Message-----
Subject: X-rays of Buddha statue reveal mummy, and scientists plan to stop a killer asteroid
From: "Discover Magazine" <DiscoverMagazine at maillist.kalmbachmail.com>
To: lfalen at turbonet.com
Date: 02/26/15 22:11:20

 Plus: Why infinity doesn’t exist, and the quest to resurrect extinct species | Trouble viewing? Click here

 Subscribe
Digital | Renew | Gift

 Discover Newsletter:  02/26/2015

 X-Rays of Buddhist Statue Reveal MummyThe 1,000-year-old Chinese statue contains the remains of a monk who may have undergone self-mummification.

   Discover Blogs

  The CruxInfinity Is a Beautiful Concept – But It Doesn’t ExistPhysicists have hit a dead end in understanding the world, and infinity is to blame.
 more  |

  VideoIncredible Bionic Hand Is Controlled By User’s MindThree Austrian men are the first to undergo “bionic reconstruction,” with amazing results.
 more  |

  The CruxMars One Finalist: “I Could Sow the Seeds of a New Civilization”A first-person account of what it’s like to be in the running for a trip to Mars.
 more  |

  Lovesick CyborgOscar Nominees Hint at Virtual Reality’s FutureFilm studios have been experimenting with immersing users in virtual worlds.
 more  |

  D-briefGenetically Modified Non-Browning Apples Are Approved in the U.S.So-called Arctic apples may start appearing in supermarkets within a few years.
 more  |

  The CruxEye Tracking Is Coming Soon to a Computer Near YouSoon appliances and video games will respond at the flick of an eye.
 more  |

   This Month in Discover Magazine

  How to Stop a Killer AsteroidSteve NadisWhen a civilization-ending space rock bears down on us, this nuclear option might just save our species.
 more  |

  The Quest to Resurrect Extinct SpeciesVirginia GewinA father-son duo of biologists has set the stage for so-called de-extinction. But should we be doing this at all?
 more  |

  Engineering New Organs Using Our Own Living CellsSteve VolkInspired by the regenerative abilities of an amphibian, Anthony Atala is driven to save lives by rebuilding organs.
 more  |

  20 Things You Didn't Know About Nuclear AccidentsKristen PopeNuclear meltdowns have both harmed and benefited wildlife in contamination zones.
 more  |

   Recent Photo Galleries

  The Human Body Under the Microscope
  8 Discoveries Astronomers Didn’t Mean to Make
  Snowflakes Like You’ve Never Seen Them Before

 Discover is the nation's leading science magazine, in print, online, and wherever you take your cell phone.

Subscribe Now!

 This message was sent to lfalen at turbonet.com.

Unsubscribe | Change Email Address | Customer Service Center | Privacy Policy

Copyright 2015 Kalmbach Publishing Co. 21027 Crossroads Circle Waukesha, WI 53187