[Vision2020] Fw:Crapo Backs Trafficking Bill Affecting Women and Children

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Feb 26 16:39:12 PST 2015

-----Original Message-----
Subject:  Crapo Backs Trafficking Bill Affecting Women and Children
From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" <newsclips at crapo.senate.gov>
Date: 02/27/15 00:34:58

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 26, 2015

CRAPO BACKS TRAFFICKING BILL AFFECTING WOMEN AND CHILDREN
Senate bill gets hearing this week, builds on VAWA protections

Washington, D.C.  – Idaho Senator Mike Crapo, who last session led efforts to renew the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), used today’s 20th anniversary of VAWA’s original enactment to announce his support for the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act making its way through the U.S. Senate.  The bill had an initial hearing this week.  Crapo and Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) were lead sponsors of last year’s VAWA legislation which also contained language aimed at combating trafficking.

This year’s bill, the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act, strengthens federal racketeering standards and improves proactive protection for children and women who may become victims of sex trafficking.  The measure increases penalties for those convicted of trafficking and organized crime activities.  It also establishes a new Domestic Trafficking Victim’s Fund, paid for by convicted criminals, that will assist local victim programs.

“Despite our best efforts, too many children and adolescent women are still being victimized by the predatory sex trade in our nation,” Crapo said.  “We must increase our vigilance, awareness, prosecution and penalties in order to protect those most innocent.  This legislation increases our commitment to stop sex trafficking and abuse for purposes of pornography, prostitution and other issues.  The House has acted swiftly to approve this bill and I am confident the Senate will do the same.”

To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:
http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=358700

# # #

This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have comments or need information, please contact Lindsay_Nothern at Crapo.senate.gov or Kyra_Maples at Crapo.senate.gov . Comments sent to this e-mail address will not be responded to.
# # #