[Vision2020] Fwd: A tribute to . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:44:08 PST 2015

Have you listened to the Band of Gypsies album, recorded live Filmore East
New Years eve 1969-70?  Hendrix was on fire that night,
playing some of the best guitar
I've heard, from any guitarist ever, even compared to his studio albums.
"Machine Gun" is beyond the powers of a human mortal!
I've always considered "a Machine Gun" to be one of Hendrix's best, and I
just checked Wikipedia, and guess what?  I'm not the only one!
Quote from Wikepedia below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Gypsys
"However, "Machine Gun" is generally regarded as the album's highlight and
one of Hendrix's greatest achievements."

YouTube music for "Machine Gun" from the Band of Gypsies album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRE3kjL3Yjg

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Gypsys-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B000002UVX
-----------------------------------
But why pick "Foxy Lady" as representative of Hendirx's best work?  I've
always thought it was one his lesser song writing and guitar playing
efforts.

Two songs from the album Axis::Bold as Love demonstrate Hendrix's creative
talents, both as a brilliant guitarist and a writer of
lyrics.  The very jazz styled
"Up From the Skies" and the title cut, "Bold as Love,," with the ending
guitar solo transmitted from from another dimension of musical mystical
ecstasy.  I'm listening to this closing guitar solo as this moment
off the YouTube offering given below, and as will always be the case till
I'm dead, it induces a kind of visceral bliss that words cannot
communicate:

YouTube music for:Up From the Skies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPjmHtE7jdA

YouTube music for Bold as Love: