[Vision2020] Support our Muslim neighbors

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Dec 5 04:04:34 PST 2015

A very special humanitarian thank you to the churches represented by the signers of the following letter.

You truly reflect the attitudes of the good people of Pullman and Moscow, attitudes that proudly proclaim . . .

"We are Family"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/We_Are_Family.mp3

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (December 5, 2015) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

---------------------------------
Letter: Support our Muslim neighbors
Recently, people on an online site threatened the Islamic Center in Pullman. As people of faith, we are heartsick at this threat to sacred space, especially as it comes on the heels of the firebombing of the Planned Parenthood clinic, a visceral reminder that irresponsible words sometimes lead to illegal and violent deeds.
We - faith leaders of Pullman and Moscow - stand solidly with our Muslim brothers and sisters. Our community is a place of peace, tolerance and harmony. Just as a few misguided terrorists should not be seen as representative of all of the Islamic community, so a few misguided bigots should not be seen as representative of the people of the Palouse. Freedom of religion is a foundational principle for our great nation, and to target people based on their faith is both un-American and unconscionable.
We call upon all people of good will to support our Muslim neighbors. If they witness verbal attacks or insults, they should step in and affirm that hatred and religious persecution have no place in our town. They can show their support by tweeting #NotHappeninginMYPullman. Remember the Golden Rule and treat all people as we would wish to be treated with kindness, compassion and understanding.
Those signing this letter as part of the Moscow Interfaith Association are from the Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse, Moscow United Methodist Church, United Church of Moscow, First Presbyterian Church of Moscow, the Jewish Community of the Palouse and the Bahai Community. Those in Pullman are from St. James Episcopal Church, the Jewish Community, Community Congregational/United Church of Christ, the Bahai Community, the Common Ministry at Washington State University, Simpson United Methodist Church, Trinity Lutheran Church and Emmanuel Baptist Church.
The Rev. Elizabeth H. Stevens
Ginger LeBeau
The Rev. Sue Ostrom
The Rev. Jodie Tooley