[Vision2020] Glass Redux (was RE: As we look forward to single-stream recycling)

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 22 12:44:06 PDT 2015

Great article with lots to think about – thanks for sharing it, Ron.  This was new to me:

“PROTIP: Don’t crush your cartons before you recycle them, otherwise they’ll get sorted in with normal paper!”

I’ve been trying to be positive about the move to single steam recycling, which has some great aspect and appeal, but I remain troubled with the elimination of glass from curbside pickup for several reasons.

Now, I’ve heard from several people this week who have wondered, “What the heck are they thinking?!” with respect to the glass bin in the parking lot at the old Gilbert Auto.

For those who’ve not yet visited it, it seems to me no one gave any thought whatsoever as to how people are supposed to actually use it other than one glass container at a time . . . and that’s assuming one can reach the opening way up high, which will be challenging if not downright impossible for more than a few in our community.  Some people I heard from gave up in frustration after the first visit and won’t be going back, which isn’t good.  After checking it out for myself, I can’t say as I blame them, though.

I sure hope people don’t wind up having to pay for larger garbage cans to take glass to the dump that used to be picked up at no additional cost for residents  :(

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.

~ Hubert Horatio Humphrey