[Vision2020] Lifting the Barrell

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Apr 21 02:49:36 PDT 2015

Courtesy of today's (April 21, 2015) Lewiston Tribune with a special thanks to Ghazi.

---------------------------------------

Lifting the Barrel
"A bucket of worms" - that's how state Sen. Lee Heider, R- Twin Falls, described recent legislative deliberations. ...
There is indeed a "bucket of worms." First, some lawmakers refused to attend the invocation by a Hindu chaplain, for we are a "Christian nation" - and that's a slap on the world's third largest faith. ... Second, I heard rumblings that some legislators wished to declare Idaho as a "Christian state" (the Founding Fathers would laugh in their graves).
Third, there is the fear of "Sharia laws" (thanks to Rabbi David Jerusalami's nationwide campaign), not realizing that "Shari'a" simply means "the way," same as "the way or word" and canon laws in the Christian tradition, and ... the Talumidic or Mosaic laws (kosher food, circumcision, bar-mitzvah, etc.) in Judaism.
Fourth, the lawmakers were recently enlightened by an "expert" on "The True Face of Islam" and were told of "enclaves" forming in Idaho. Good combination - a naive, receptive audience and an "expert" exploiting their fears. ...
Fifth, ... Bonneville County's "GOP group warns supporters and police that Muslims are 'infiltrating' Idaho" and that "Muslims were 'ready to rise up and kill' non-Muslims."
Finally, the Legislature recently killed the child-support bill, for it would make Idaho "bound to the laws of a foreign country," and "it wasn't worth risking our sovereignty. ..."
Indeed, there is a "bucket of worms," and as a friend recently wrote, "every time I think Idaho is at the bottom of the barrel I have to lift the barrel" to look for more underneath.
S.M. Ghazanfar
Acworth, Ga.
Editor's note: The author is an emeritus faculty member at the University of Idaho and a former resident of north central Idaho (Moscow, Idaho).

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com