[Vision2020] Realclimate.org 4-13-15: Ruddiman's Early Anthropogenic Climate Impact Theory

Paul Rumelhart paul.rumelhart at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 19:30:21 PDT 2015

I'm not sure why I'm bothering, but for me it comes down to a desire not to
be manipulated by fear as well as the desire not to be demonized for it.
According to Wikipedia, we have had a temperature increase since about 1900
of 0.74 +- 0.18C.  CO2 levels back then were about 280ppm, we're currently
at about 400ppm.  Calculate that out, and it would appear that we should
expect an increase of around 1.7C for a doubling of CO2.  OK, great.  I'll
keep that in mind over the next 80 years or so.  Not nearly as high as what
they are trying to scare us with.  I keep an eye on sea level data at
http://sealevel.colorado.edu.  That first graph has been pegged at 3.2 +-
0.4 mm/yr for the last couple or more years now.  Not even a hint that it
will start erupting upward anytime soon.  We're talking a little over a
foot a century.  Nothing to piss our pants about.  Sea ice in the arctic
continues to frustrate those who keep expecting an ice free summer.  No
idea what it will do this year.

Almost everything else is speculation and over-exaggeration as far as I can
tell.  I don't buy into the "man is killing the planet" morality play.  I
don't see any need to put any brakes on the economy in order to force us
off of oil.  If anything, we need the economy as strong as possible so we
can be effective when we need to be.  I don't think we should be messing
with geoengineering schemes quite yet.

If things take a sudden turn for the worse, I'll rethink my position.

That's my basic take on it.  I'm not interested in yet another
back-and-forth exchange.

Paul

P.S.  As for the possibility of religion trumping my common sense on this
topic, I have no idea what spiritists / occultists think about climate
change; as far as I can tell there is no position on it.  Maybe all 12 of
us should sit down and discuss it sometime.