[Vision2020] Labrador seeks ban on police use of armored vehicles as Latah County seeks one

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 19 11:13:24 PDT 2014

Courtesy if the Idaho Statesman, with thanks to Saundra Lund, at:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/09/16/3378358_labrador-seeks-ban-on-police-use.html?rh=1

---------------------------------------

Labrador seeks ban on police use of armored vehicles as Latah County seeks one

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/09/16/3378358_labrador-seeks-ban-on-police-use.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Idaho GOP congressman Raul Labrador is teaming up with a Democratic lawmaker to move a bill designed to curb police militarization among state and local law enforcement agencies at the same time Latah County is working to obtain a 1976 Peacekeeper armored vehicle from Bonner County.

Georgia Rep. Hank Johnson and Labrador introduced the bill Tuesday. The legislation follows the shooting of a black teenager by a police officer in Ferguson, Mo., that sparked a series of riots and increased criticism of police use of military equipment.

The proposed legislation would restrict the types of surplus military equipment that can be provided to local law enforcement agencies and prevent weapons such as grenade launchers and armored vehicles to be transferred.

The bill also ends the requirement that local police have to use military equipment within a year after receiving it.

Latah County is looking to obtain the armored vehicle for free, although the sheriff’s department would be on the hook for painting, maintenance and any customizing costs, Sheriff Wayne Rausch told Latah County commissioners on Monday.

Rausch said the department has been wanting such a vehicle for years, but it wouldn’t enter an agreement if it were to cost "$50,000 to make it usable."

The Peacekeeper was originally designed for use by U.S. Air Force security personnel to patrol perimeter fences and is comparable in size to an SUV.

"The roof is a good place for a machine gun," remarked Commissioner Dick Walser.

"We’re not interested in that kind of weaponry," Rausch replied. "We’re not going to put a bunch of guys in armor and kick in the doors of citizens."

Militarization of local law enforcement is a hot topic these days because of the recent events in Ferguson, Mo., where Michael Brown, a black teenager, was allegedly shot and killed by law enforcement.

The notion that the Latah County Sheriff’s Department would use such a vehicle against the general population is "B.S.," Rausch stressed. He described it as "strictly heavy metal on a Dodge chassis."

"This organization has never used forced against citizenry," Rausch said. But "we need certain tools to do our job."

He said it would be used for special response needs, such as hostage situations or active shootings. It could be used by other area law enforcement agencies, such as the Moscow Police Department, when necessary, Rausch said.

Commissioner Tom Stroschein called it "a pretty mean machine."

An example of an incident in which a bullet-resistant vehicle might have proven beneficial was during the May 2007 shootings at and near the Latah County Courthouse Complex. Three people died — a civilian, a Moscow police officer and the suspect, who committed suicide. Another civilian and a Latah County deputy were also injured.

An armored vehicle could have been used to retrieve those people who were struck by gunfire outdoors.

The Bonner County Sheriff’s Department has owned the vehicle since the mid-1990s. Bonner County Detective Phil Stella, who was interviewed by telephone after the meeting, said the vehicle was used plenty during the years and was still in good condition in spite of its age.

While the current political climate toward the use of such equipment is negative, Bonner County law enforcement was "just trying to keep our people safe," Stella said.

The Boise Police Department obtained this military surplus mine-resistant ambush protected armored vehicle in October.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/09/16/3378358_labrador-seeks-ban-on-police-use.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Note to Sheriff Rausch:  When the county obtains one (probably thru a government property auction), I have been trained in driving and tactical application of . . .

The M-2 Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Yep.  That's me (SFC Thomas P. Hansen) and Brad . . . Organization Day 1985 (Company D, 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry (Mechanized) - Harvey Barracks - Kitzingen, Germany). We were encouraged to wear civilian attire, as the festivities took place at a park on the outskirts of Kitzingen.  Them was the days, my friend.

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon