[Vision2020] LCSO & Peacekeeper Armored Vehicle?!

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 19 09:46:16 PDT 2014

Visionaries,

Knowing my vehement objections to the excessive militarization of domestic
law enforcement, a friend recently mentioned to me something about LCSO
getting a "free" Peacekeeper armored vehicle.  Does anyone know anything
about this they can share?  I've been pretty out-of-touch with any news the
past 2-3 weeks due to the serious illness of a family member (who had a
second surgery this AM & I'm waiting with an elephant on my chest for the
surgeon to call), but I'd like to learn more about this.

I cannot fathom what the LCSO is thinking by procuring such a liability.
Even if the Peacekeeper itself is free, anyone with a scintilla of fiscal
sense knows that with vehicle ownership comes a whole host of associated
financial costs like insurance, maintenance, etc., that we-the-taxpayers
will be footing the bill for.  Does anyone have information on how much
owning the vehicle will cost we-the-taxpayers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that not too long ago,
the LCSO budget -- as are so many of our own personal budgets -- was so
strapped that the sheriff complained about not being able to secure enough
bullets for his deputies nor to give deserving employees raises.  If my
recollection is accurate, then it seems incredibly foolish to commit funds
to wholly unnecessary and inappropriate militarization equipment with other
more important and appropriate financial needs.

The aftermath of killing of Mike Brown Jr. in Ferguson made the topic of the
trend of law enforcement militarization a hot topic, but the topic has been
one of concern for those of us interested in civil rights for a long time
now.  There has been a lot of good news coverage recently, but a good
starting place for those wanting to better educate themselves is:

https://www.aclu.org/war-comes-home-excessive-militarization-american-polici
ng

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards out of men.

~ Abraham Lincoln