[Vision2020] Calvin Trillin, Deadline Poet

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 19 04:16:49 PDT 2014

Mr. Dredge stated:

"On this note, the player's union is claiming that the elevator video provided a graphic account of what happened, but no new evidence."

What more evidence do you need, Mr. Dredge?  The second video (publicly released over a week ago) clearly shows Ray Rice knocking his wife to the floor of the elevator and dragging her limp, unconscious body out of the elevator.

----------------------

Mr. Dredge continues . . .

"Thus, the additional penalty of a ban from the NFL leveled against Ray Rice amounts to double jeopardy."

How is this considered double jeopardy?  If I committed a crime (say . . . assault) and I was fired from my job, would it be wrong to also be criminally charged for that assault?

----------------------

Mr. Dredge suggests . . .

"In retrospect, the NFL should have probably dealt with domestic about long ago since it's not exactly a new thing."

As more and more cases of domestic violence in the NFL is uncovered (instances involving 5 players identified in the past week) it is becoming painfully clear that this has been going on for quite some time.

Why hasn't something been done about it earlier, you ask?  The NFL is, in itself, a billion dollar industry.  The NFL is also tax-exempt.  Cute, huh?  Simple logic suggests that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (who is under pressure to resign by several NFL teams that are under pressure by their sponsors) would hate to see these instances of domestic violence go public, as they may result in a major drop in ticket and product sales.

Mr. Dredge concludes with . . .

"Pictures of OJ's battered wife were released about 20 years ago."

O.J. Simpson was tried.  I may not agree with the acquittal(s), but he WAS tried.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon