[Vision2020] Idaho Business group brands candidate a ‘liberal’

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Sep 3 08:12:21 PDT 2014

Courtesy of today's (September 3, 2014) Spokesman-Review.

-------------------------------------

AdWatch: Business group brands candidate a ‘liberal’
BOISE – The harshest political ad on the air in Idaho’s governor’s race goes after Democratic candidate A.J. Balukoff, branding him a “liberal” and attempting to tie him to President Barack Obama.

Balukoff, a Boise businessman and longtime chairman of the Boise School Board, says the ad is full of “lies and distortions,” particularly for attempting to tie him to Obama – when he was a supporter of Mitt Romney for president.

The Idaho Association of Commerce and Industry, a business lobbying group, put out the ad as part of its independent campaign against Balukoff. The group maintains each of its claims is backed up by a citation to a news article or other source.

“It’s a critical part of our mission to inform voters about the true positions of someone running for our highest office,” Alex LaBeau, IACI president, said in a statement. The ad is part of a multi-pronged campaign the group is running that also includes a website, LiberalAJ.com, and mailers.

Jim Weatherby, Boise State University professor emeritus and a longtime observer of Idaho politics, said, “That the first attack ad would include the words ‘liberal’ and ‘Obama’ doesn’t surprise me a bit. That’s a typical GOP attack line. It’s worked in the past.”

Though people tend not to like negative advertising, Weatherby said, they do tend to be influenced by it. The ad shows a red “LIBERAL” stamp being smacked across Balukoff’s forehead, a term Weatherby said is something of a political “dirty word” in Idaho. “It’s just associated with big government and taxes and locking up public lands,” he said.

IACI cites Balukoff’s support for an unsuccessful voter initiative in 2006 to increase school funding in Idaho by raising the sales tax to 6 percent as support for its “increased taxes” claim. But the Legislature that year, in a special session, raised the tax to 6 percent to fund property tax relief three months before the election; the initiative then failed. Idaho’s sales tax remains at 6 percent.

“To use that as validation for the absurd claim that A.J. Balukoff intends to raise taxes is quite a stretch,” said Balukoff’s campaign spokesman, Mike Lanza.

Weatherby said, “Is it over the top? Sure. But a lot of negative advertising is. Are there exaggerations? Yes. I mean, it’s a real stretch to tie a school board president to the president of the United States.”

Weatherby said he’s not surprised that Otter is letting the business group run the attack ad, rather than dirtying his own hands. “That’s often the case, particularly for a candidate who is perceived to be in the lead,” he said.

Otter on Tuesday launched a feel-good ad of his own in southern Idaho, but it hasn’t yet started running up north.

-------------------------------------

Sing it, V-Peeps . . .

"I'm a Card-carrying, Bleeding Heart Liberal" by Christine Lavin
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Card_Carrying_Bleeding_Heart_Liberal.mp3

Just take a look at hist'ry's pages and you're gonna see:
Your greatest friend down through ages, yep, was always me,
I fought for living wages in this nation of the free,
'Cause I'm a Liberal.
Can't you tell?
Capital L-I-B-E-R-A-L!
Social Security is yours because I led the way,
And I'll defend it come what may until it's A-okay,
I'll fight that fight for you although it takes 'til Judgment Day!
'Cause I'm a Liberal.
Can't you tell?
Capital L-I-B-E-R-A-L!

  Yes, Sir, a Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL!
  Yes, Ma'm, a Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL!
  Because We Real American Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS,
  In every state,
  Made this country great!!!

I brought a surplus to this country - not a deficit,
I brought prosperity with jobs, now let's return to it;
I want to keep our Constitution, every bit of it!
Cause I'm a Liberal.
Can't you tell?
Capital L-I-B-E-R-A-L!

I fought defensive wars the sons of riches rarely fight,
They mostly hide way back. behind their daddies' wealthy might,
I'm there with ordinary guys, the black, the brown, the white,
'Cause I'm a Liberal.
Can't you tell?
Capital L-I-B-E-R-A-L!

  Yes, Sir, a Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL!
  Yes, Ma'am, a Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL!
  Because We Real American Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS,
  In every state,
  Made this country great!!!

So, if you need a hand up, sister, brother, look my way,
You saw me lots of yesterdays and now I'm here today;
My leaders were the greatest, FDR and JFK
'Cause I'm a Liberal.
Can't you tell?
Capital L-I-B-E-R-A-L!

  Yes, Sir, a Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL!
  Yes, Ma'am, a Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL!
  Because We Real American Card-Carrying
  BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS,
  In every state,
  Made this country great!!!
  In every state,
  Made this country great!!!
  We made this country great!!!"

http://www.MoscowCares.com

Jus' Another Intolerista Liberal Wacko Nutjob Loose in the Palouse Doing What Comes Natural