[Vision2020] Postcards from Pripyat, Chernobyl; Haunting Drone Footage

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Nov 29 14:03:20 PST 2014

Postcards from Pripyat, Chernobyl, Haunting Drone Footage

*http://tinyurl.com/kene73l*

While working on an episode
<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chernobyl-the-catastrophe-that-never-ended/> of
the CBS <http://www.cbs.com> television news show /60 Minutes
<http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/>/ in the abandoned city of Pripyat
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pripyat>, Ukraine, filmmaker Danny Cooke
<http://www.dannycooke.co.uk> captured drone footage of the area that
was deserted in the wake of the catastrophic 1986 Chernobyl nuclear
disaster <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster>. The haunting
images in Cooke's short film "Postcards from Pripyat, Chernobyl
<http://vimeo.com/112681885>" are accentuated by its soundtrack
featuring Hannah Miller <http://hannahmillermusic.com>'s song "Promise
Land <http://youtu.be/_wVRgFU23SU>."

Cooke wrote:

    During my stay, I met so many amazing people, one of whom was my
    guide Yevgen, also known as a 'Stalker'. We spent the week together
    exploring Chernobyl and the nearby abandoned city of Pripyat. There
    was something serene, yet highly disturbing about this place. Time
    has stood still and there are memories of past happenings floating
    around us.

    Armed with a camera and a dosimeter geiger counter I explored.

Ken