[Vision2020] Why do Jesus-followers want to discriminate?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Nov 22 08:22:31 PST 2014

Courtesy of today's (November 22, 2014) Spokesman-Review

--------------------------------------

Why do Jesus-followers want to discriminate?
The Rev. Paul Graves

For some time, I’ve watched the political skirmishes that pit religious people and/or organizations against cities, counties, states or our country. It’s past time that I publicly ask my question: Why do religious people want the right to discriminate against other people?

The issue bubbled to my surface after watching news reports of the owners of The Hitching Post in Coeur d’Alene fight against the city’s human rights ordinance. Because of their religious beliefs, the owners wanted to be able say “no” to same-sex couples wanting to be married.

So I’ve done some research on the countrywide legal quagmire on the laws that give religious organizations the “right” to discriminate against persons they would rather not serve. The whole issue is very complicated and very legalistic – no surprise there.

It all seems to begin, at least legally, with the national Civil Rights Act of 1964. Then in 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act became law. Title III of that act exempted “religious corporations, associations, educational institutions or societies” from various forms of discrimination.

That exemption effectively gave those religious groups permission to discriminate if they thought it was in their best interest. And there’s the rub for me. (As in columns past, I can only speak out of my own Christian tradition. I have no right to assume anything of other faiths.)

Simply put: As I read of how Jesus lived, and taught his followers, I see no evidence that discriminating against other persons had any place in his actions or his motives. So why do some of his followers think it is their “right” to discriminate against persons they’ve decided to be unworthy?

I’m genuinely puzzled about this, folks. I’m not talking about the legal rights currently present in our laws. I’m talking about the basic responsibilities that Jesus-followers have based on our understanding of, to repeat a cliché, What Would Jesus Do?

As I reflect on my puzzlement, one curiosity I have is this: Why are churches and their members clamoring so hard for “our rights” when Jesus never seemed concerned about his or his followers’ rights? Jesus lived for others, not himself. He urged his followers to do likewise.

So how are we doing? Inconsistently at best, is my guess.

What really is the church’s role in our American society supposed to be? I certainly don’t see our role as establishing a theocracy, a government ruled by someone’s version of God and religion. That isn’t what Jesus sought. Why should we?

I assert our faith role is to influence our government to positive movement toward justice for all persons. When we try to force religious views on the country’s population, we can become a dangerous political machine. Again, that isn’t what Jesus sought. Why should we?

When we work to support just treatment for all persons, we more closely reflect the spirit of Jesus and God than when we cry “foul” and seek special treatment to do what our “lesser self” drives us to do. That isn’t what Jesus sought for any person. Why should we?

When we manipulate the laws of our cities, counties, states and country to put us in favored position with those political entities, we fall into the trap of being just another political entity. Churches are called to be different than that by God. Too often, we settle for being no different.

I’m still puzzled by “religious corporations, associations, educational institutions or societies” that are willing to play compromised political games for some illusion of power. Our power isn’t supposed to come from governments. Is it?

The Rev. Paul Graves, a Sandpoint resident and retired United Methodist minister, is the founder of Elder Advocates. He can be contacted at welhouse at nctv.com.

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com