[Vision2020] Two killed when Apache helicopter crashes near Boise

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 7 17:13:52 PST 2014

Courtesy of KBOI (Boise) at:

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Crews-responding-to-report-of-Apache-helicopter-down-near-Boise-281873491.html?mobile=y

--------------------------------------

Two killed when Apache helicopter crashes near Boise

BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) - Two soldiers were killed when their Idaho National Guard Apache helicopter crashed south of the Boise Airport, officials say.

An Army National Guard spokesman said the two soldiers were on a routine nighttime training mission when the helicopter went down near Pleasant Valley Road and Hollilynn Drive at about 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Idaho National Guard released the identities of the soldiers as chief warrant officers Stien P. Gearhart, 50, of Meridian, and Jon L. Hartway, 43, of Kuna.

"It's a very difficult evening for us in the Idaho National Guard," said Col. Tim Marsano, Idaho National Guard spokesman. "We don't know the reasons why -- we can't speculate at this point."

Both soldiers were assigned to 1-183rd Attack Reconnaissance Battalion.

“The men and women of the Idaho National Guard are united in grief at the loss of two of our brothers in arms, who gave their lives while training to defend our nation,” said Idaho National Guard Commander, Major General Gary Sayler. “Today, our thoughts and prayers are with their families.”

The helicopter sent out a beacon when it went down, Marsano said. It's one of 16 helicopters at the base.

According to the Ada County Coroner's office, there was no fire or explosion at the scene and the two soldiers' bodies were not burnt. He said debris was spread over the area. He noted they had been pilots for years.

Trina Holton, who lives on Pleasant Valley, said she heard just a loud rumble and a big band.

"I thought it was a prison break or something," Holton said. "it was very sad. I was hoping that they made it."

Chief warrant officer Hartman, from Kuna, was also a pilot for Air St. Lukes, according to Idaho Helicopters Director of Operations Steve Sandmeyer.

Idaho Helicopters works with Air St. Lukes, and also shares several pilots with the Idaho Army National Guard.

"The training that the pilots receive is outstanding," Sandmeyer said. "The quality of the maintenance service they have is also outstanding. It's the highest level."

Sandmeyer, who only knew Hartway on a professional level, said that his service for Air St. Lukes speaks volumes about his character, and only magnifies the loss.

"He's flown hundreds of people," he said. "If all you're able to do is impact one person's life in your life, how do you put a value on that? That kind of job is a very demanding job."

"Those calls come at all times of days and nights, and it needs the type of person who has the ability to stay very alert and very professional at all times," he said. "We're all very anxious as aviation professionals to find out what happened."

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com