[Vision2020] A tribute to . . .

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sun Nov 2 10:45:39 PST 2014

. . . voting.

"Voting Rights" by Shoeless Jeff and Scott Free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhMgy894v5Q

Crank it up and sing along . . .

"Every other year when November is near
A national election is drawing very near
Put up bumper stickers, posters, and signs
For your candidates, it's voting time
Every other year when November is near
A national election is drawing very near
We will get to pick who our leaders will be
Aren't you glad we have democracy?

Every other year, in November, there's Election Day
Everyone will hear loud and clear what the People say
We live in a land that was founded on democracy
This was an idea from the Ancient Greek philosophy
Voting can help people bring about what they want to see
They can pick the leaders that they think will act responsibly
Used to be that voting only was for those with property
Then only for white men, there wasn't much equality

Though history, initially, our country did begin
Refusing voters who were African-American
But voting shouldn't focus on the color of your skin
So 1870 brought the first correction
It came in the form of the 15th Amendment
The proud, for years, had to fight and defend it
Some states found ways to keep prejudice alive
Until the Civil Rights Act: 1965

Women who wanted to vote were called suffragettes
1848, at Seneca Falls, they met
Supporters faced arrest, riots, even death
But the suffragettes stood tall and kept planning
Led by Lucretia Mott and Liz Stanton
World War I, a lot of men crossed the sea
Women took on a lot of responsibility
Leading to their right to vote in 1920

Now you're probably wondering if you can vote
Well the minimum age is 18 years old
And you need to be a valid resident and citizen
But could lose your right if a convicted felon
If you meet the requirements, it's now that time
To vote, you need register, so get in line
You can choose a party, something to keep in mind
But just get on the list, because there are deadlines

Check it, every four years we elect a president
Six years for senators, two for congressmen
But before we can elect them on that Tuesday in November
We often have to narrow down the candidates that enter
People from the same party often want to run
But the party says, "No guys, we only pick one"
So then the party holds a primary
A mini-election to see who will compete

When we know the candidates from each party
We need to stop -- and listen closely
To what they have to offer and often say
The message they relay, and the ads they play
Listen because their causes are their platforms
A foundation that they hang their hats on
But get excited and support campaigns
Wear buttons, hang banners, you can make a change

Then finally, Election Day, the moment of truth
Voters 'round the country at the voting booth
They might use an open room at your school or your church
Add up all the votes, how much are they worth?
It depends on the size of the state you live in
Each state has a set number of votes they're given
Small states have fewer, big states have more
These votes are cast by people called electors

When the polls close, the votes get tallied up
270 Elector Votes, that's enough
Normally followed by a victory speech
By the newly chosen president-to-be
There's another name for the person we select
Initially referred to as the president-elect
Then he or she enters officially
When inaugurated in January."

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com