[Vision2020] Fw: April 2014 E-Newsletter

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Fri May 2 17:34:35 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: "Senator Mike Crapo" <crapo_info at crapo.enews.senate.gov>
To: "LESLIE FALEN" <lfalen at turbonet.com>
Date: 05/02/14 14:10
Subject: April 2014 E-Newsletter

April 2014 E-Newsletter

If you are having trouble viewing this message or would like to share it on a social network, you can view the message online.

 May 02, 2014

Unsubscribe

Update My Profile

 United States Senator Mike Crapo - Idaho
 Website - About Mike Crapo - News Releases - Services - Photo Gallery - Contact Me

E-MAIL UPDATES
Yes, please periodically send me e-mail updates.*

Click Here

*By subscribing to my
e-mail updates, you are authorizing me to send regular e-mail updates from my office to your e-mail account.

Privacy Policy

Please Feel Free to Tell a Friend
 E-mail:

 E-mail:

Please note:  This email newsletter is coming from an unmonitored account. Please do not reply to this email address. To reply to our office, click here to use the contact form on our website. If you wish to change your email address or update your contact information, click here to update your profile. If you wish to unsubscribe, click here.

Dear Friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of my e-newsletter.
Spring brought many Idahoans to Washington, D.C., this month.  I was fortunate to visit with over 100 Idahoans during the April work period. I appreciate Idahoans’ continued willingness to make their voices heard and actively be engaged in the issues pending before Congress.  Below are some highlights from the month:

Idahoans representing the National Alzheimer’s Association stopped by my Washington, D.C., office this month to advocate for important, life-saving Alzheimer’s research. More than five million Americans, including 10 percent of Idaho’s seniors, are living with Alzheimer’s disease.  Understanding the serious future implications of this disease, I recently joined Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey to introduce the Alzheimer’s Accountability Act.  This bipartisan legislation requests the National Institutes of Health devise a blueprint outlining a coordinated research path forward to expedite scientific breakthroughs and discovery of an eventual cure for Alzheimer’s, which is expected to triple in prevalence nationwide and cost Medicare more than $800 billion annually to care for patients by 2050.  Initiatives like this are not only important to our nation’s physical health, but our
fiscal health as well.    Learn more here.

Doug Jones from my hometown of Idaho Falls stopped by the office this month.  As the president of Pro-Rental and Sales Inc., Doug shared how the current economic climate and policies are impacting his business and employees.  It is always a pleasure to hear from Idaho’s small business owners—the true drivers of our nation’s economy.

I enjoyed visiting with Idaho 4-H participants and representatives from the University of Idaho’s County Extension program.  We stopped for a quick photo in the U.S. Capitol.

Jeanette McKinney of Idaho Falls, the 2014 Elizabeth Dole Foundation caregiver fellow for Idaho, shared with me some of her personal experiences as the primary caregiver for her husband who suffered a traumatic brain injurty in the line of duty.  Jeanette’s resiliency and positive spirit serves as an example to all those who come in contact with her. Thank you for all your efforts on behalf of Idaho’s military families, Jeanette!

I welcomed members of the Idaho State Snowmobile Association to the office for a discussion on the many issues affecting their industry.

I welcomed 10-year old Brad Springer and his father Zach from Boise to my Washington, D.C., office.  Brad is a remarkable young man who, like me, is a cancer survivor.  I appreciated the Springers’ willingness to share their story with me as they represented Seventh Generation’s Campaign for a Toxin-Free Generation.

Idaho’s Native American tribes contribute to Idaho’s rich culture and are intrinsic to our state’s history and development.  Recognizing the important role Idaho’s tribes play in our communities, I am always pleased to visit with tribal members.   Dennis Smith, Chairman of the Shoshone-Paiute Tribes of the Duck Valley Reservation, and other council members provided an update on issues of importance to the Tribe and the Duck Valley Project during a meeting in my Washington, D.C., office.

Senator Risch joined me in welcoming U.S. Department of Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz to the monthly Idaho Industries Breakfast.  We were eager to share with Secretary Moniz the excellent work being done at the Idaho National Laboratory—the nation’s distinguished nuclear energy laboratory.

Congratulations to high school student Savina Barini of Twin Falls on being named the Poetry Out Loud Idaho State Champion.   Savina’s commitment to scholastic achievement was very evident when meeting her.  Keep up the great work Savina! You’re making Idaho proud!

I had a productive discussion with representatives from the United Fresh Produce Association, including members of the Idaho Potato Commission, about the farm bill implementation, immigration reform and food safety regulations.
EPA’s New Effort To Wield Authority Over Water Unacceptable
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recently issued a proposed rule that would drastically expand the definition of waters regulated under the federal Clean Water Act (CWA).  The “Waters of the United States” rule would outline significant expansion of federal authority, permitting the government to exert more control over private landowners by deeming portions of their land as “jurisdictional”.  This month, I joined my Republican colleagues on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, of which I am a member, to write the Administration to object to this new blatant power grab by the agency.  What is most problematic is that the rule is not aimed at industry or business, large and small, but individual citizens as well.  Decisions with regard to allocation, management and the use of water are uniquely state issues that the
federal government should not continue to interfere with.  The EPA’s efforts to, yet again, wield authority over water outside of the scope of the CWA is an obvious overreach and must be stopped. To read the letter and learn more, click here.
Idahoans are rightfully concerned about the EPA’s excessive, heavy-handed regulations and the implications in our state.  I share these concerns and am very much aware that this alarming trend is not limited to our nation’s environment and water issues.  Whether it is the Internal Revenue Service targeting organizations based on political beliefs or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau collecting and storing data on consumers’ financial transactions, I have opposed and continue to fight these unnecessary overreaches and intrusions into the lives of ordinary citizens.  Reining in the federal government and preserving the way of life we enjoy in Idaho and across the West remains one of my highest priorities in Congress.
Recent Editorials
April 30, 2014: A Pioneer Lost But Opportunity Gained
April 23, 2014: Reading: Filling Up the Information Bank
April 9, 2014: Supporting New Farmers and Ranchers
April 2, 2014: Fannie-Freddie Wind Down Will Protect Taxpayers
Looking for more information? Please visit the Issues and Legislation section of my website for information that addresses many issues important to all of us.  As always, I highly value the opinions and concerns of my fellow Idahoans.  With that in mind, we continue to work to improve my website.
Please do not reply to this e-newsletter.  We are set up to respond to your comments, suggestions or concerns at my official website, www.crapo.senate.gov/contact/contact.cfm.  Also, please let me know if there are other issues that you would like me to address.
All the best,

Share on Facebook

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Twitter

 Contact Information:

 CLICK HERE TO E-MAILU.S. SENATOR MIKE CRAPO
 Washington D.C.
239 Dirksen Senate Building
Washington D.C., 20510
Phone: (202) 224-6142 Eastern Idaho, North
410 Memorial Drive
Suite 205
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
Phone: (208) 522-9779 Idaho State
251 East Front Street
Suite 205
Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-1776 North-Central Region
313 'D' Street
Suite 105
Lewiston, ID 83501
Phone: (208) 743-1492

 Eastern Idaho, South
275 South 5th Avenue
Suite 225
Pocatello, ID 83201
Phone: (208) 236-6775 North Idaho
610 Hubbard Street
Suite 209
Coeur d' Alene, ID 83814
Phone: (208) 664-5490 South-Central
202 Falls Avenue
Suite 2
Twin Falls, ID 83301
Phone: (208) 734-2515

  Update My Profile - Unsubscribe - Privacy Policy