[Vision2020] Fw[2]: Letter to the University Community Concerning Senate Bill 1254

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Fri Mar 28 17:08:48 PDT 2014

Subject: FW: Letter to the University Community Concerning Senate Bill 1254

From: all-staff-bounces at uidaho.edu [mailto:all-staff-bounces at uidaho.edu] On Behalf Of Office of the President
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:10 AM

Office of the President
PO Box 443151
Moscow, ID 83844-3151

Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558
president at uidaho.edu

March 27, 2014

To the University of Idaho Community,

As you may be aware, Senate Bill 1254 (commonly referred to as the “guns on campus bill”) was introduced in the Idaho Legislature in January. The University, our sister institutions, and the State Board of Education and Regents, opposed the bill; however, it passed and has been signed into law. The new law will allow citizens with an enhanced concealed-carry permit to carry a concealed weapon on university grounds and in buildings, except in university housing and in certain large public venues, such as events at the ASUI Kibbie Activity Center. The law does not take effect until July 1, 2014. Current University policies regarding weapons on campus remain in full force and effect until then.

The University of Idaho is fully committed to providing a safe, nurturing environment for living, learning, and teaching. As such, the continued safety of our university community remains paramount. In order to fully understand the implications of and implementation of this new law, I will name a task force made up of faculty, staff, students and law enforcement representatives who will assess the law, consult experts, and propose a comprehensive university policy regarding possession of weapons on University property. The end product of this process will be a comprehensive recommendation that will inform decision-making and ensure compliance with applicable law and policy in a manner that continues to promote a safe living, learning and teaching environment at University locations statewide.

If you would like to provide input into this process, please contact Matt Dorschel, Executive Director, Public Safety and Security at 885-7209 or by email at mdorschel at uidaho.edu.

Sincerely,

Chuck Staben
President