[Vision2020] Transparent as mud

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Mar 18 03:11:45 PDT 2014

Esto perpetua

Courtesy of today's (March. 18, 2014) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Marilyn Beckett.

-----------------------------------
Letter: Transparent as mud
Recent news articles on the Lochsa Land Exchange reveal the "transparency" promised by Idaho Sen. Jim Risch doesn't exist.
People are being deprived of due process via the congressional delegation's instruction to the U.S. Forest Service to halt their administrative decision. The public deserves to see a final environmental impact statement and have their questions and concerns addressed by the agency. And, although we are told they won't be disclosed, we have a right to know what federal parcels are being appraised and what the appraisal says. It's our land.
Essentially, Western Pacific Timber is trying to write a blank check on the public's bank account. They are creating their own prescription for a land exchange through legislation. While many people, including the Concerned Forest Service Retirees, wait for response to their letters to Congress, WPT communicates directly with our officials, unduly influencing them. This represents more than an unjust land exchange. We are confronting the erosion of ethics as the public faces being ripped off.
To most of us, it appears WPT is being encouraged to extort value from something of lesser value. The well-managed, low-elevation public lands should not be swapped for scalped, slide prone rocky terrain. As the CFSR said in its letter to the committee on resources, "the proposed land exchange never gained general public approval because the Forest Service was unable to give a good and compelling reason(s) for doing it or describe clear, significant and measurable public benefit."
Risch publicly took charge. Sen. Mike Crapo and Rep. Raul Labrador signed on. They have interrupted a process that could clearly show the loss to the public. They have not openly shared the communications they've had with WPT and its lobbyists. Transparency is sorely lacking.
Both Risch and Labrador are up for re-election this year.
Marilyn Beckett, Moscow

House Concurrent Resolution 56
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2014/HCR056.htm

HCR056	 	by STATE AFFAIRS COMMITTEE

LAND EXCHANGES - Stating findings of the Legislature and requesting for the submission of proposed land exchanges to the Legislature for concurrence or nonconcurrence.

Seeya at the polls, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com