[Vision2020] fun political read- Boise Weekly

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Wed Mar 12 10:46:22 PDT 2014

Bill Cope is a funny, edgy, honest-to-his-beliefs-to-the-bone, kind of guy.  I personally am fond of his columns on evolution.     <http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/a-third-wave/Content?oid=3069035> Who could resist an essay that includes the following sentiments?

“I have no recollection of which subject I banged out first, only that the evolution column was the 12th one published. I called it "And On The Eighth Day... " (BW, July, 27, 1995) and in it, I proposed the idea that there were two strains of humanity: those who have evolved from less intricate species, and those who were created as is.

Obviously, they were created... just as they are now, from mud and ribs. What they are now, they have always been and will always be. A certain level of pity is called for. Unlike those of us who would rather be related to an ape than Jimmy Swaggart, the Createes will never feel a kinship with the rest of nature--that fecund swamp from which we Evolvers climbed--any more than a bronze bust of Elvis can love the foundry where it was forged. They can take no comfort in knowing that evolution can carry our children into a hopeful future just as it has floated us out of a savage past--that in spite of momentary evidence to the contrary, over the long run we are getting better.”

Rose Huskey