[Vision2020] Privacy: 60 Minutes

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 10 02:10:54 PDT 2014

Given that we've discussed the topic recently, I was glad to see the 60
Minutes segment on data brokers.  For those who missed it, you might want to
check out:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-data-brokers-selling-your-personal-informati
on/

To whet your whistle, here's the opening:

Over the past six months or so, a huge amount of attention has been paid to
government snooping, and the bulk collection and storage of vast amounts of
raw data in the name of national security. What most of you don't know, or
are just beginning to realize, is that a much greater and more immediate
threat to your privacy is coming from thousands of companies you've probably
never heard of, in the name of commerce.

You have the option to read the transcript or watch the segment, as well as
check out additional information at the above link.

I recommend watching the 60 Minutes Overtime segment about "How to defend
your privacy online" - even I picked up a helpful tip  :)

Saundra

Moscow, ID

All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely
action.

~ James Russell Lowell