[Vision2020] FW: Kentucky Baptists use gun giveaways to lure unchurched to Christ

Gier, Nicholas (ngier@uidaho.edu) ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Mar 5 17:06:43 PST 2014

Hi Scott,

My student notes from my grad. seminar on Luther are deep in the bowels of files in my garage, but I can give you this one quote from the Father of the Reformation:

"And if a man were not first a believer and a Christian, all his works would amount to nothing and would be truly wicked and damnable sins." (The Freedom of a Christian)

When Catholics quoted the following to Luther"faith apart from works is dead" (James 2:26), Luther repudiated the Book of James as "that epistle of straw."  Nice going, Martin; you've set the rhetorical stage for later "Reformers" such as our very own Douglas Wilson.

There is never "enuff said" about either religious or political issues.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick