[Vision2020] Idaho Dem chairman warns of fiery convention

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Thu Jun 19 03:53:48 PDT 2014

Courtesy of today's (June 19, 2014) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------------

 Idaho Dem chairman warns of fiery convention
After chaotic GOP convention, IDP hopes to have success in Moscow this weekend
The Idaho Democratic Convention will open in Moscow on Friday, complete with platform hearings, a pub crawl and a keynote speech from former Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell.
Party Chairman Larry Kenck joked in a statement to the press earlier this week that after last weekend's GOP convention he was pleased to hear Moscow was still standing, but he also warned the community to not yet rest.
"After reading about last weekend's events, we worried that we might arrive this week to smoldering ruins that you might see after raging battles," he wrote.
After the dramatic and disappointing GOP convention conclusion in which delegates left without electing a party chair or approving a platform, the IDP is hoping to have a more productive weekend, hosting lively debates and events Friday and Saturday.
"We are an energetic, fiery bunch," Kenck wrote. "We are likely to have heated debates. We are likely to burn our lanterns late into the night. We expect the Friday night Latah County Democratic Street Party to be a barnburner too."
Convention events will be filled with a mix of platform hearings, committee meetings and social events as party members work to write a platform.
Friday morning will open with an initial platform hearing, before moving on to youth and minority panel meetings. The day will end with the Idaho Young Democrats Pub Crawl on Main Street. The even is open to the public.
Saturday morning's breakfast will include a speech from U.S. Senate candidate Nels Mitchell, while governor candidate AJ Balukoff will appear at the convention luncheon.
A platform decision and party officer elections are scheduled for early Saturday, before moving into the main convention meeting in the late afternoon.
State Superintendent of Public Schools candidate Jana Jones will also meet with attendees at the pre-gala social before the IDP victory feast, which concludes the weekend.
Rendell will present the weekend's keynote speech at the victory feast. Rendell served two terms (2003-11) as governor of Pennsylvania, the nation's sixth most populous state.
"Whatever happens at our convention, I am confident that we will leave town after successfully conducting the business that we have come to conduct," Kenck said. "And, we will have a great time while we are doing it."

Seeya there, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com