[Vision2020] PR - City of Moscow Hires New Fire Chief - Correction

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Jul 30 11:21:59 PDT 2014

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208.883.7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE - Corrected
City of Moscow Hires New Fire Chief

July 30, 2014 (Moscow, Idaho) - Following an extensive selection process, Mayor Bill Lambert, in collaboration with the Moscow Volunteer Fire Department, has identified Brian Nickerson of Los Alamos, New Mexico, as Moscow's new Fire Chief.

Nickerson takes over from Chief Ed Button, who retired earlier this summer, after 7 years leading the volunteer department. Division Chief Joe Williams has been acting Fire Chief since Button's retirement.

Nickerson has over 25 years' experience in the fire service, including 5 years as Chief of the Wright City, MO Fire District. He has served as Division Chief, Life Safety/Fire Marshal for the Los Alamos Fire Department since 2011.

Nickerson was selected from a field of over forty candidates for Moscow Fire Chief. "Chief Nickerson impressed our interview committee and Volunteer Fire Department as a dynamic and capable leader who has the ability to continue the tradition of excellence and service of our Fire Department", said Lambert. "I am pleased to present his name to the City Council for confirmation as Moscow's next Fire Chief."

Nickerson cited his desire to join Moscow's Fire Department because of the volunteers' commitment to community service. Said Nickerson, "My father was a volunteer firefighter for 38 years and a Fire Marshal and my previous experiences working within a volunteer department have been very positive. Volunteers have been the backbone of the Fire Service for generations and Moscow is a great example of how committed citizen volunteers can provide an essential public service. I am honored to have been chosen as Chief Officer of this great organization"

According to Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor, Moscow Volunteer Fire Department, Nickerson will supervise the City's staff consisting of a Division Chief/Fire Marshal, Division Chief/EMS Operations Manager, Captain/Safety Training Officer, Administrative Assistant and Fire Inspector, as well as over 90 volunteers. The Moscow Volunteer Fire Department holds a Class 3 Public Protection Classification from the Insurance Services Office (ISO).

Nickerson's appointment will be presented for confirmation to the Moscow City Council at their regular meeting on August 4, 2014 and is expected to begin work on August 25, 2014.

###

Story Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
Phone: 208.883.7006
Email: griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.