[Vision2020] Labrador names Dan Popkey as press secretary

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 29 12:12:50 PDT 2014

Longtime Statesman political reporter Dan Popkey has taken a job as press
secretary for U.S. Congressman Raul Labrador.

Popkey's resignation from the Statesman is effective immediately.

He will be based in Idaho in Labrador's Meridian office.

Popkey, 55, was a Statesman reporter for just shy of 30 years. He started as
a police reporter in 1984 and covered Idaho politics and the Legislature
beginning in 1987.

"I've been privileged to work with people of great talent, character and
devotion and I wish them the best," Popkey said.

"I've come to deeply respect Congressman Labrador's independence, integrity
and fierce commitment to setting our nation's fiscal house in order," Popkey
said. "It's bittersweet to leave journalism, my first love, but I'm thrilled
with the opportunity to apply what I've learned to help advance our state's
priorities in Washington."

Twice named Idaho reporter of the year by the Idaho Press Club, Popkey was a
Pulitzer Prize finalist for his 2007 coverage of Idaho Sen. Larry Craig.

In 2003, Popkey won the Ted M. Natt First Amendment award from the Pacific
Northwest Newspaper Association for coverage of University Place, the
University of Idaho's troubled real estate development in Boise.

Popkey has a bachelor's degree in political science from Santa Clara
University and a master's in journalism from Columbia University. He was a
Congressional Fellow of the American Political Science Association and a
Journalism Fellow at the University of Michigan. A former page in the U.S.
House of Representatives, he graduated Capitol Page High School in 1976.

Born in Tucson, Ariz., Popkey attended school in Cupertino, Calif., before
spending his senior year as a page in the U.S. House.

"I'm very excited to have Dan on board as my new press secretary," Labrador
said in a statement. "He brings a wealth of experience and considerable
knowledge of Idaho political history that will be a tremendous asset to me
and my staff throughout the First Congressional District."

Read more here:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/07/29/3301175/labrador-names-dan-popkey-a
s-press.html?sp=%2F99%2F1687%2F&ihp=1#storylink=cpy