[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 4.51] August Issue: The Black Hole at the Beginning of Time

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Jul 24 18:10:38 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: "Scientific American" <news at email.scientificamerican.com>
To: lfalen at turbonet.com
Date: 07/23/14 04:53
Subject: [Spam 4.51] August Issue: The Black Hole at the Beginning of Time

 To view this email as a web page, go here.
You received this email because you opted-in to receive email from Scientific American.
To ensure delivery please add news at email.scientificamerican.com to your address book.

Manage Email Preferences

 August 2014 Issue Highlights
Forward to a Friend »

 Digital Sale – Save 44%
 Renew Now
 Buy Now  The Black Hole at the Beginning of Time Is the big bang, and all that came from it, a holographic mirage from another dimension?
By Niayesh Afshordi, Robert B. Mann and Razieh PourhasanONLINE ONLY:

 - All You Need to Know about Gravitational Waves
 A New Kind of Inheritance Harmful chemicals, stress and other influences can permanently alter which genes are turned on without changing any of the genes' code. Now, it appears, some of these “epigenetic” changes are passed down to—and may cause disease in— future generations
By Michael K. SkinnerONLINE ONLY:

 - Can We Inherit the Environmental Damage Done to Our Ancestors? [Video]
 Accidental Genius A blow to the head can sometimes unmask hidden artistic or intellectual gifts
By Darold A. TreffertONLINE ONLY:

 - Instant Genius After Head Trauma
 Sickness Spreads across the Arctic As the far north heats up, its inhabitants—from musk oxen to residents of growing cities—are getting ill
By Christopher SolomonONLINE ONLY:

 - An Invertebrate Detective Reveals the Secrets of Creepy Crawlers in the High Arctic [Slide Show]
 Saving Big Data from Itself A three-step plan for using data right in an age of government overreach
By Alex "Sandy" PentlandONLINE ONLY:

 - Technology and the Emerging Post-Privacy Era
 The Science of Learning Researchers are using tools borrowed from medicine and economics to figure out what works best in the classroom. But the results aren't making it into schools
By Barbara KantrowitzONLINE ONLY:

 - A High School Lab As Engaging as Facebook
 Cosmic (In)Significance To know whether life exists beyond Earth, we must come to terms with our own significance in the universe. Are we uniquely special or merely mediocre?
By Caleb ScharfONLINE ONLY:

 - Are We Alone in the Universe? - Instant Egghead
 Stop Lecturing Me At the college level, the evidence is clear: science students learn less when they are expected to listen passively
By Carl Wieman
 Whispers from Creation The recent discovery of gravitational waves emerging from the big bang may point a way forward
By Niayesh Afshordi, Robert B. Mann and Razieh Pourhasan

 Follow Us:

Unsubscribe | Subscribe | FAQs | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Forward to a Friend
This message was sent to: lfalen at turbonet.com
Check out our New Products!
Scientific American
75 Varick St
New York, NY, 10013
Scientific American is a trademark of Scientific American, Inc., used with permission
© 2014 Scientific American, a division of Nature America, Inc.