[Vision2020] Fw: RE: SCOTUS did not finish with the HL decision

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Jul 9 23:00:18 PDT 2014

Yes
On 7/9/2014 9:49 PM, Sue Hovey wrote:
> My take on it, and ultimately I believe most citizens will stand
> here:  To allow an employer to deny an employee an otherwise
> guaranteed employment right, based  on the employer's religious
> convictions, is a direct violation of the separation of church and
> state.   And it isn't Orwellian, it should be a First Amendment
> Protection.  If this decision and the injunction allowed Wheaton
> College are allowed to stand there will be little to keep an employer
> from denying other employment benefits.  Of course, maybe this will
> move us closer to a single payer system not based on employment.  That
> would be good.

Yes, a federal single-payer system with regional (not necessarily state)
and local administration would be preferable to the large amounts of
expensive private-sector administrative overheads from which we now
suffer.  A desirable part of such a system would be a national medicinal
formulator system whereby a national administrative agency would both
bid and negotiate to issue competitive contracts to pharmaceutical
suppliers to provide medicines to government contract, thus lowering the
cost to the government, and thus to patient-recipients.  New Zealand has
had such a system for decades, and it has significantly lowered their
national bill for medicines.

Ken