[Vision2020] Area politicians react to court’s Hobby Lobby ruling

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jul 1 07:45:45 PDT 2014

Courtesy of today's (July 1, 2014) Spokesman-Review.

------------------------------------

Area politicians react to court’s Hobby Lobby ruling
Here are some Northwest reactions to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in the Hobby Lobby case:

• U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash.: Today’s Supreme Court Decision sets a dangerous precedent and takes us closer to a time in history when women had no choice and no voice. … Your health care decisions are not your boss’s business – period. … In the coming days I will work with my colleagues and the administration to protect this access, regardless of who signs your paycheck.”

• U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash.: “We live in a nation founded on the fundamental right that all people can live and work according to their beliefs without fear of punishment from the federal government. This morning the Supreme Court defended liberty by ruling that American family business owners should not be forced to choose between their faith or unlawful, unnecessary government mandates.”

• U.S. Rep. Raul Labrador, R-Idaho: “This is a tremendous victory for religious freedom in America. No American should be forced between following their faith and submitting to unlawful and unnecessary government mandates.”

• State Rep. Shirley Ringo, D-Moscow, running against Labrador: “Today’s decision allows corporations to deny contraception to female employees because of the corporation’s religious objections. I saw many people from my community in church last Sunday, but I didn’t see a corporation there.”

• Washington Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler: “It is an injustice to everyone who has fought for decades to bring health insurance parity to Washington state and nationwide. The court essentially said that a corporation’s religious affiliation can trump women’s health care choices.”

• State Sen. Mike Padden, chairman of the Senate Law and Justice Committee: “It is good news for many people of faith. I’m glad a majority of the justices recognized that people are not required to automatically check their religious beliefs at the door simply because they choose to open a business.”

• Idaho Gov. Butch Otter: “Today’s ruling confirms once again that President Obama’s policies – when left unchecked – are eroding our constitutional rights.”

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon