[Vision2020] Fifty years ago today (January 8, 1964)

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 09:24:03 PST 2014

Thanks Donovan for your thoughts.

Just in from the NY Times:

Here is the answer to my question in my first post.

A Columbia University study suggests that without government benefits, the
poverty rate would have soared to 31 percent in 2012. Indeed, an average of
27 million people were lifted annually out of poverty by social programs
between 1968 and 2012, according to the White House Council of Economic
Advisers<http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/50th_anniversary_cea_report_-_final_post_embargo.pdf>
.

*Progress in the War on Poverty*

JAN. 8, 2014 Nicholas Kristoff, *The New York Times*

America’s war on poverty turned 50 years old this
week<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/business/50-years-later-war-on-poverty-is-a-mixed-bag.html>,
and plenty of people have concluded that, as President Reagan put it: “We
fought a war on poverty, and poverty won.”

That perception shapes the right’s suspicion of food stamps, minimum-wage
raises and extensions of unemployment benefits. A reader named Frank posted
on my Facebook page<https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10151974136467891&id=9351577890&p=10>:
“All the government aid/handouts in the world will not make people better
parents. This is why the ideas from the left, although always made with the
best of intentions, never work. ... All of this aid is wasted.”

Yet a careful look at the evidence suggests that such a view is flat wrong.
In fact, the first lesson of the war on poverty is that we can make
progress against poverty, but that it’s an uphill slog.

The most accurate measures, using Census Bureau figures that take account
of benefits, suggest that poverty rates have fallen by more than one-third
since 1968. There’s a consensus that without the war on poverty, other
forces (such as mass incarceration, a rise in single mothers and the
decline in trade unions) would have lifted poverty much higher.

A Columbia University study suggests that without government benefits, the
poverty rate would have soared to 31 percent in 2012. Indeed, an average of
27 million people were lifted annually out of poverty by social programs
between 1968 and 2012, according to the White House Council of Economic
Advisers<http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/50th_anniversary_cea_report_-_final_post_embargo.pdf>
.

The best example of how government antipoverty programs can succeed
involves the elderly. In 1960, about 35 percent of older Americans
were poor<http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p60-245.pdf>.
In 2012, 9 percent were. That’s because senior citizens vote, so
politicians listened to them and buttressed programs like Social Security
and Medicare.

In contrast, children are voiceless, so they are the age group most likely
to be poor today. That’s a practical and moral failure.

I don’t want anybody to be poor, but, if I have to choose, I’d say it’s
more of a priority to help kids than seniors. In part, that’s because when
kids are deprived of opportunities, the consequences can include a lifetime
of educational failure, crime and underemployment.

Research from neuroscience underscores why early interventions are so
important. Early brain development turns out to have lifelong consequences,
and research from human and animal studies alike suggests that a
high-stress early childhood in poverty changes the physical brain in subtle
ways that impair educational performance and life outcomes.

A careful review of antipoverty programs in a new book, “Legacies of the
War on Poverty<https://www.russellsage.org/publications/legacies-war-poverty>,”
shows that many of them have a clear impact — albeit sometimes not as great
an impact as advocates hoped.

For starters, one of the most basic social programs that works — indeed
pays for itself many times over — is family-planning assistance for at-risk
teenage girls. This has actually been one of America’s most successful
social programs in recent years. The teenage birthrate has
fallen<http://www.nbcnews.com/health/teen-birth-rate-hits-historic-low-officials-say-8C11086339>by
half over roughly the last 20 years.

Another hugely successful array of programs involved parent coaching to get
pregnant women to drink and smoke less and to encourage at-risk moms to
talk to their children more. Programs like Nurse-Family Partnership,
Healthy Families America, Child First, Save the Children and Thirty Million
Words Project all have had great success in helping parents do a better job
with their kids.

*Vald*

36 minutes ago

"As that example suggests, we increasingly have first-rate research —
randomized controlled trials, testing antipoverty programs as...

Early education likewise has strong evidence of impact. Critics note that
in Head Start, for example, gains in I.Q. seem to fade within a few years.
That’s true and disappointing. But in the last five years, robust studies
from scholars like David
Deming<http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/%7Edeming/papers/Deming_HeadStart.pdf>have
shown that graduates of Head Start also have improved life outcomes:
higher high school graduation and college attendance rates, and less likely
to be out of school and out of a job.

Advertising

Another area of success: Programs that encourage jobs, especially for the
most at-risk groups. The earned-income tax credit is a huge benefit to the
working poor and to society.

Likewise, a program called Career Academies has had excellent results
training at-risk teenagers in specialized careers and giving them practical
work experience. Even eight years later, those young people randomly
assigned to Career Academies are earning significantly more than those in
control groups.

As that example suggests, we increasingly have first-rate research —
randomized controlled trials, testing antipoverty programs as rigorously as
if they were pharmaceuticals — that give us solid evidence of what works or
doesn’t.

So let’s drop the bombast and look at the evidence.

Critics are right that antipoverty work is difficult and that dependency
can be a problem. But the premise of so much of today’s opposition to food
stamps and other benefits — that government assistance inevitably fails —
is just wrong. And child poverty is as unconscionable in a rich nation
today as it was half a century ago.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com