[Vision2020] Out with the old, in with the new - sort of

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 3 04:57:08 PST 2014

Courtesy of today's (January 3, 2014) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with appreciation for a job well done to Moscow"s Mayor Chaney.

---------------------------------
Out with the old, in with the new - sort of
The new year inspires ruminations on the past and imaginings for the future. Here are mine.
Moscow takes pride in being different. We relish the quirkiness of living in a place with grain elevators downtown, where hundreds of dogs splash in the public pool one day each year and where Bike to Work Day takes a full month. We're oblivious to the incongruity of abhorring vandalism, while embracing a Vandal as a venerable mascot. We celebrate being first in the state to ban smoking in bars, named the only inclusive community in Idaho, first to invite supplemental nutrition benefits at our farmers market and the basin's leader in planning for a sustainable alternative water supply.
We champion progressivism without abandoning traditions and the heritage that keep us grounded or falling victim to mere quaintness. Moscow and the University of Idaho are mutually dependent institutions with the healthy advantage of having distinct identities. We advocate STEM education (science, technology, engineering and math), while promoting the arts as integral to Moscow's quality of life.
The waning political cycle was a mixed bag of shining moments and not so shiny ones. Moscow fell uncharacteristically behind the curve by being the fourth city in the state to pass a nondiscrimination ordinance for sexual orientation and started following instead of leading in day care standards. We dropped the ball when the City Council rescinded its living-wage resolution. We were not at our best when a council member dismissed local poverty stats as simply couch-surfing students or when two councilors voted against joining Michelle Obama's Let's Move! initiative because as one put it, it's not government's business if people want to raise fat kids. We turned it around when the White House, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, and the Blue Cross Foundation recognized Moscow for our stellar work to facilitate - not dictate - healthy eating and active lifestyles.
As we commemorate days gone by, we can be glad to live where government transitions are peaceful and not tainted by scandal or corruption. The arrival of the new year will coincide with the seating of new - albeit mostly recycled - local elected officials. Here's why it's forward-thinking to retain some traditions as holdovers in 2014.
Compassion: Keep combating poverty through the Poverty on the Palouse network, Moscow League of Women Voters' study, Family Promise housing, Latah Community Health CHAS Clinic for the underinsured, the USDA summer lunch program and Moscow's renowned generosity.
The environment: Conserve water and plan now to share it with neighbors and future generations. Beat the greenhouse gas emissions reduction target. Promote local foods. Don't succumb to pressures to lessen water quality standards or assume that because we aren't yet required to test for pharmaceuticals or plasticizers that it is smart to introduce them into groundwater. Consider that megaload protesters may have a point.
Compact development: Moscow will grow, but enabling sprawl would cost us in terms of social connections, fuel consumption, infrastructure and the ability to provide services. Why sacrifice bike lanes, pathways, sidewalks and transit services in favor of wider, straighter streets with bigger trucks and faster cars? Why would active seniors retire to a place that requires time-sapping car commutes? Why would international scholars come if living here requires car ownership to get around? Consider economic advantages of innovation clusters, mixed use and density.
Engagement: Among Moscow's strengths is that people matter, regardless of affluence or political clout. Our educated populace expects opinions to be heard and debated. We have sought to enable and encourage public process, as opposed to rushing to decisions. We have sun-lit government activities that would almost certainly have been more expeditious and less uncomfortable if conducted behind closed doors. We have invited diversity of ideas from residents, even when their recommendations conflict with preconceived notions.
Let's not risk losing such fundamental aspects of Moscow's identity. The year ahead holds opportunities and risks. I'm pulling for fairness, transparency and forward-thinking optimism to prevail.

Mayor Nancy Chaney
Moscow, Idaho

Thanks for being the right person at the right place at the right time, Mayor Chaney.

You will be fondly remembered,

http://www.MoscowCares.com