[Vision2020] Maryland's Fourth Amendment Protection Act

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 15:55:15 PST 2014

There is a house bill in Maryland that is meant to protect the Fourth Amendment by denying material support for agencies that transgress the fourth amendment.  Here is the first paragraph:

1.  IT IS THE POLICY OF THE STATE TO REFUSE MATERIAL SUPPORT,
2.  PARTICIPATION, OR ASSISTANCE TO ANY FEDERAL AGENCY THAT CLAIMS THE
3.  POWER TO, OR WITH ANY FEDERAL LAW, RULE, REGULATION, OR ORDER THAT
4.  PURPORTS TO, AUTHORIZE THE COLLECTION OF ELECTRONIC DATA OR
5.  METADATA OF A PERSON IN ACCORDANCE WITH AN ACTION NOT BASED ON A
6.  WARRANT THAT PARTICULARLY DESCRIBES THE PERSON, PLACE, AND THING TO
7.  BE SEARCHED OR SEIZED.

The bill goes into more specifics, here is a link to the bill on Maryland's site: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/bills/hb/hb1074F.pdf

This is the kind of thing I like to see.  Presumably, they are talking about the Ft. Meade campus primarily, which would mean that that fancy black building would have to power itself to continue hoovering up our data.

I'll be curious to see if this passes, or even gets out of committee.

Any chance of Idaho doing something like this?

Paul