[Vision2020] Panel urges softer approach in quest for federal lands

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Dec 10 05:44:35 PST 2014

Courtesy of today's (December 10, 2014) Lewiston Tribune.

--------------------------------------

Panel urges softer approach in quest for federal lands
Task force concludes demanding title isn't in Idaho's best interest
A legislative task force is recommending Idaho pursue a more cooperative relationship with the federal government, rather than follow Utah's lead and simply demand title to most public lands within its borders.
"I think it's counterproductive to demand title," said Sen. John Tippets, R-Montpelier, a member of the interim Idaho Federal Lands Task Force that met Tuesday in Boise.
The task force was created in 2013, shortly after the Utah Legislature approved a resolution calling on Congress to turn over title to all public lands in the state by the end of this year. It was prompted in part by concerns about federal lands management practices, as well as a preliminary economic analysis from the Idaho Department of Lands that suggested the state could earn as much as $75 million per year by taking over management of 6.9 million acres of federal timberlands.
A more recent analysis from Jay O'Laughlin at the University of Idaho's Policy Analysis Group estimated that the net benefits of managing 6.9 million acres of forestland and another 9.5 million acres of grazing lands ranged from $24 million to a negative $111 million per year, depending on timber harvest levels and timber prices.
That didn't include $16 million to $58 million in annual tax revenue the state would receive from new mill workers and other employees hired to manage the lands.
Since it first began meeting last year, the Idaho task force has taken comments from interested parties around the state. It expects to submit findings and recommendations to the Legislature by the end of January.
The group spent two hours Tuesday discussing what issues should be included in the report.
Tippets, for example, noted that many people have expressed concerns about losing access if the state does acquire title to public lands.
"If we go forward, I think we should clarify that the state needs to maintain access and public use," he said.
He also wanted to make sure any transfer was handled in a way that doesn't require the state to manage lands for the maximum long-term economic benefit, since that would likely eliminate or diminish many recreational activities that traditionally take place on them.
The task force also expressed support for cooperative ventures like the Clearwater Basin Collaborative, saying they could provide some immediate improvements in forest management practices.
Utah lawmakers have threatened to sue the federal government if it doesn't comply with the state's demands. The Idaho task force, however, has been advised that any type of legal challenge would be unsuccessful.
"If we do decide to pursue this, it's probably going to be through a political process that may take some time - meaning 10 or 15 years," noted Sen. Chuck Winder, R-Boise, the task force co-chairman. "But we need to find a way to deal with the general issue of management and how the state might play a role."
Based on Tuesday's comments, legislative staffers will produce a draft report in the coming weeks. Winder said the task force will meet at least once more to review the draft and make any final changes before adopting it and submitting it to the Legislature.

http://www.MoscowCares.com