[Vision2020] A tribute to...

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 6 20:27:24 PST 2014

Oh, I personally am fine with however you want to interpret McLean's poetry,
and I tend to agree with you about the particular verse in question.  The
whole infamous Altamont concert really was a huge deal back then, and I have
no reason to think the impact escaped McLean, who was certainly a part of
the music scene.  As with so much art, the meaning is in the eye of the
beholder.  At one point when I was a teen (I spent a whole lot of time going
to concerts - ah, the Bay Area was a great place for music lovers to be back
then!), my group of friends sat around analyzing American Pie to identify
the events for each stanza.  Some things we all agreed about, but others?
Not so much.  But, IIRC, we unanimously agreed that that particular stanza
was a reference to Altamont  :)  But, who knows?

However, you really should allow your elders to educate you about trivia  :)
At the time, Altamont was widely recognized as "The Day the 60s Died."  When
I was Googling it a couple of minutes ago to provide links, I see that the
phrase has since apparently been co-opted for several other notable things,
but if you ever win a trivia contest with the correct answer, please
remember me kindly.

You wrote:

"The reason for posting it under the subject heading of 'A tribute to...' is
to maintain the general format of Mr. Hansen's numerous similar postings of
song lineups to this forum."

Ahh - thanks for the clarification.  Sometimes I'm more than a little slow
on the uptake, and this was one of those times.  <shaking my head>  I
appreciate the tribute to Murdock (Meredith Hunter), which gave me an
opportunity to go back down memory lane to something I'd not thought about
in a couple of years.

Saundra

Moscow, ID

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as
it is to the caterpillar.

~ Bradley Miller