[Vision2020] FW: Solidarity with Ferguson

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Aug 25 13:14:55 PDT 2014

I can hardly imagine how Hedy Epstein felt, and what she was thinking, when she was arrested.

Courtesy of the New York Daily News at:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/holocaust-survivor-90-arrested-protest-st-louis-article-1.1909363

--------------------------------------

Holocaust survivor, 90, is arrested for protesting in St. Louis in support of Michael Brown
Hedy Epstein, a German Jew who fled to England as a child before World War II started, has been protesting against injustice since she was a teen. She’s been arrested before for protesting, and was cuffed again Monday in downtown St. Louis during a rally against Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon’s decision to send the National Guard into Ferguson, Mo. ‘I didn't think I would still be doing this when I was 90,” she said. “But we have to stand up for what’s right.'

She may not be the loudest protester, but 90-year-old Hedy Epstein is likely the oldest person demanding justice for Michael Brown.

And she has the bruises on her arm to prove it.

“The police officers weren’t violent or anything like that, but they put the handcuffs on me pretty tight,” the St. Louis grandmother told The Daily News on Tuesday — a day after she was arrested.

“I have been arrested before,” she said. “The bruises will go away.”

A German Jew who fled to England as a child before World War II erupted — and whose parents and other relatives were murdered by the Nazis at the Auschwitz death camp — Epstein is a longtime political activist.

Most recently, Epstein has taken part in numerous protests against the Israeli bombing of Palestinians in Gaza.

On Monday, Epstein said she was in downtown St. Louis to protest Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon’s decision to send the National Guard into Ferguson, Mo.

“We were hoping to get him to de-escalate the violence,” said Epstein. “We believe they are inciting the peaceful demonstrators to become violent.”

Epstein said she “hadn’t given a thought to being arrested.”

But just before the protest march kicked off, Epstein said “somebody announced there would be arrests and they asked me if I was willing to take that risk.”

“I said yes,” she said. “It was very spontaneous.”

Epstein said they marched over to a government building and began demanding to speak with Nixon. She said the cops said no and threatened to arrest them if they didn’t scram.

“In the past my heart would pound a mile a minute,” she said. “This time I was very calm. The police told us to move and we refused. So they arrested us.”

Epstein said the officers treated them professionally.

“They have a job to do and they did what they had to do,” she said. “They handcuffed us, drove us to the station, and charged us with failure to disperse.”

Epstein, who lived in New York when she first emigrated to the U.S. in 1948, said she has protested against what she sees as injustice “since I was a teenager.”

“I didn't think I would still be doing this when I was 90,” she said. “But we have to stand up for what’s right.”

Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein, 90, is arrested on Monday during unrest outisde the office of Missouri Gov Jay Nixon in St. Louis.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon