[Vision2020] Caturday (August 23, 2014)

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Aug 23 05:31:59 PDT 2014

Courtesy of the New York Post at:

http://nypost.com/2014/08/19/rescued-cats-co-star-with-rose-byrne-on-broadway/

------------------------------------
Stray kitten lands role on Broadway
A stray kitten named Alfonso won a cat casting call on Monday, pouncing on a role in the upcoming Broadway revival of “You Can’t Take It With You.”
Director Scott Ellis picked Alfonso out of 14 auditioning kittens, all rescues provided by the Humane Society.
Alfonso’s role calls for him to sit on a desk and eat as actress Kristine Nielsen pounds away on a typewriter.
During the auditions at the New 42nd Street Studios — which were also attended by co-star Rose Byrne — the kitties were placed, one by one, on top of the stage desk.
Each got one minute to show they could concentrate on eating or sitting still.
Most got distracted by Nielsen’s typing or peered curiously around the stage, but Alfonso was clearly the top cat, glancing just once at the typewriter before zeroing in on the food.
His brother Louis won a smaller role, sitting in a box on stage during the same scene. The box will be opened, and Louis will, hopefully, step out.
“I like the look. I like the color. I like he didn’t do anything but eat,” Ellis said of Alfonso. “He takes direction. He just stands there if I tell him to stand still. That’s what he does.”
The 1936 play’s script has always called for a cat, but the producers of this Longacre Theatre production don’t know if recent runs included live cats.
Alfonso will take the stage next Tuesday for previews.
But fame will be fleeting for Alfonso, who will be replaced in a month. When cats reach 12 weeks, they typically become more unruly.
New kittens will be auditioned then.
Alfonso, who’ll live at the theater, isn’t the only critter star. James Earl Jones will handle a live corn snake.
Alfonso the kitten won a bit part during auditions for "You Can't Take It With You."

Rose Byrne with her new furry co-star for “You Can’t Take It With You”

http://www.MoscowCares.com