[Vision2020] Fwd: Updated UI Weapons on Campus FAQs

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Aug 12 13:53:02 PDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Updated UI Weapons on Campus FAQs
Date: 	Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:42:55 -0700
From: 	UI Public Safety & Security <noreply at uidaho.edu>
To: 	undisclosed-recipients:;

University of Idaho

Public Safety & Security

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, effective July 1, 2014, a new section of the Idaho code
allowed qualified retired law enforcement officers and individuals who
have an Idaho enhanced concealed weapon license, to carry a concealed
firearm on public college and university property; with the exception of
student dormitories, residence halls or public entertainment/sporting
facilities with a seating capacity of greater than 1,000. The new UI
weapons on campus policy can be found on the University of Idaho Policy
website www.uidaho.edu/apm <http://www.uidaho.edu/apm>.

In late June we posted a set of questions and answers on the UI's Public
Safety and Security website which provided some guidance on and
interpretation of what the new law allows and doesn't allow. In
addition, on July 1, UI General Counsel and the Office of Public Safety
& Security conducted an open forum for faculty and staff to answer
questions related to the law and the policy. Using the input we received
at the public forum and from email questions and comments, we updated
the question and answer document in order to provide additional
clarification regarding the practical implementation of the weapons
policy on our campus. The revised FAQs and answers can be viewed here
www.uidaho.edu/public-safety-and-security
<http://www.uidaho.edu/public-safety-and-security>.

If you have questions about the law and policy or if you would like to
schedule a meeting with us to discuss the issue further, please contact
us at campus-security at uidaho.edu <mailto:campus-security at uidaho.edu> and
we will be happy to meet with you.

Kent E. Nelson, General Counsel
Matthew J. Dorschel, Executive Director, Public Safety & Security