[Vision2020] NRA's General Counsel

Sunil sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:28:12 PDT 2014

I found this story today; it's been out a couple of days now.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/robert-dowlut-nra-murder-mystery

In 1963 Robert Dowlut, the NRA's General Counsel and a man who has helped shape 2nd Amendment jurisprudence, was charged with murder and tried as an adult at 17. Six years later his conviction was overturned and a new trial ordered. Because tainted evidence was suppressed (correctly, I think), no new trial occurred and he went on with his life. He returned to the military, got out and went to college. He went on to law school, became a member of the DC bar, and has had a tremendously successful career.

Neither the NRA nor he and his wife responded to inquiries from Mother Jones; I haven't yet seen any reaction from Dowlut or his employer.

I find the story interesting on several levels.

It's interesting he was allowed to take the bar exam. No, I think it's remarkable he got through the character and fitness check. Go ahead, make lawyer jokes, but people with DUIs have to make their case to sit for the exam. That's somewhat different from shooting and killing someone, allegedly.

I wonder if the NRA knew about it. What will they do now? He was charged with shooting two people the same night, a pawn shop owner he was allegedly trying to rob, and then his girlfriend's mother; the former survived, the latter was killed.

Sunil