[Vision2020] North Idaho Poachers Taking Heavy Toll On Game

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Apr 19 09:19:49 PDT 2014

Kai Eiselein suggests:

"Let's say a person is unemployed and needs to feed his/family poaches a deer or an elk for food, should that person be treated the same as a trophy or money poacher who only takes the rack, hide or parts that have cash value?"

As much as I hate to say this, Mr. Eiselein . . .

Yes.  A law is only as strong as the people who enforce it.

In both cases, "trophy poachers" (who take the elk/deer racks for their cash value) and indigent people (who are striving to put food on the dinner table), are guilty of the crime of poaching.

The individual reason for poaching may be presented during the judicial process.  At which time the judge or jury may impose punishment commensurate with the motivation behind committing the crime.  In military courts-martial, that portion of the judicial pricess is referred to as "presentation of matters in extenuation and mitigation".  Where the "trophy poacher" may be sentenced to some jail time and a heavy fine, the indigent person may be sentenced to a short term of probation.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon