[Vision2020] Money is running the show

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Apr 19 09:19:25 PDT 2014

On 4/19/2014 6:22 AM, Tom Hansen wrote:
> Courtesy of today's (April 19, 2014) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.
>
> -----------------------------------
>

>   His View: Study: Money is running the show
>
> *By Chuck Pezeshki*
>
> Well, the science is in. In a major study released by Princeton and
> Northwestern universities, after comparing actual policy decisions by
> the U.S. government to actual citizen preference, social scientists at
> these two prestigious universities have declared that the United
> States is an oligarchy.
>
> What is an oligarchy? It's where the economic elite run the show.
>
> Note that the policy period analyzed went from 1981-2002. I shudder to
> think what we'd be called if they'd looked at the period post-9/11 to
> present.
>
> In the words of the report, "The central point that emerges from our
> research is that economic elites and organized groups representing
> business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S.
> government policy, while mass-based interest groups and average
> citizens have little or no independent influence." <[snip]>

Yes, yes, the economic elite have been controlling this and that for
centuries.  Recall German bankers financing both sides of European wars.

On the other hand, modern electronic technology is changing how one
views (various adjectives) strategy.

Here is a talk by Philip Evans, managing director of the Boston
Consulting Group about how big data is creating opportunities.

Notice that some of the opportunities may be accomplished by the
modestly-sized, and others by the gargantosaurs of society.

We all need to become better aware of these emerging relationships both
as beneficiaries and participants, and as citizens and governors of
ourselves.

Here is Philip Evans:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayI7MTLfyCk Time
Length: 21:55

Ken