[Vision2020] North Idaho Poachers Taking Heavy Toll On Game

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 19 02:23:12 PDT 2014

If anyone can post the LMT article referenced, I'm sure I'm not the only one
who would appreciate it.  It seems to me our tax dollars would be far, far
better spent hunting down these damn poachers than caving to the paranoia of
the mentally unhinged "big bad wolf" crowd.

http://boisestatepublicradio.org/post/north-idaho-poachers-taking-heavy-toll
-game

North Idaho Poachers Taking Heavy Toll On Game

State wildlife officials in northern Idaho say poachers are killing far more
game animals than wolves.

Officials tell the Lewiston Tribune that last year in northern Idaho they
confirmed poaching of 30 elk, four moose, 13 mule deer and 57 whitetail
deer.

Officials say a realistic detection rate is 5 percent, meaning poachers are
likely killing about 600 elk, 80 moose, 260 mule deer and 1,000 whitetail.

Idaho Fish and Game District Conservation Officer Barry Cummings says many
people don't report wildlife crimes because they don't consider it a crime
against them.

The fine in Idaho for illegally killing an elk is $750, while the fine for
illegally killing a moose is $10,000.