[Vision2020] PR - City of Moscow Fire Chief Announces Retirement

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Apr 15 16:59:50 PDT 2014

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208.883.7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
City of Moscow Fire Chief Announces Retirement

April 15, 2014 (Moscow, Idaho) - City of Moscow Fire Chief Ed Button has announced his retirement after fifteen years with the City, eight of those years as Assistant Fire Chief and Fire Marshal and seven in service as Fire Chief.  Button's contribution to the department and the Moscow Volunteer Fire Department has been steadfast and commendable during his tenure.

Button has been described as a consensus-builder with a collaborative management style.  As noted, when Button was announced as the candidate for the Chief's position on May 7, 2007, the Moscow Volunteer Fire Department had indicated their unanimous support for his appointment and noted Button was a thoughtful and experienced scene commander who has the respect of the department and the volunteers.

Button has also served in a variety of membership organizations at both the state and national level including service with the Idaho Fire Chief's Association Board of Directors, Idaho Chapter of International Association of Arson Investigators, National Fire Protection Association, Latah County Local Emergency Planning Committee, All-Hazards Mitigation Committee, and Firewise Fuels Reduction Committee, as well as the Idaho State Fire School where he was president from 2005 - 2008.

Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor says of Button, "Chief Button has been an incredible advocate for the Moscow community and our outstanding Volunteer Fire Department and Ambulance Company.  We appreciate his exemplary service to the community."

Button completed the 4-year Chief Fire Officer Post-Graduate Leadership Development Program of the National Fire Academy in 2005, and has taught classes in Industrial Technology Education at the University of Idaho.  More recently, Button has worked to bring the Idaho Fire Chiefs annual conference to Moscow, and will host that group on May 1, 2014.

Button's official retirement date is July 1, 2014.  He'll be missed by the Moscow Volunteer Fire Department and the City of Moscow who both wish him well in his future endeavors.

###

Story Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
Phone: 208.883.7006
Email: griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.