[Vision2020] Caturday (April 12, 2014)

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Apr 12 05:17:56 PDT 2014

Courtesy of Kitty Army at:

(Videos)
http://www.kittyarmy.com/dillon-the-blind-cat-navigating-through-life-without-eyes/

-----------------------------------
DILLON THE BLIND CAT: NAVIGATING THROUGH LIFE WITHOUT EYES

In spite of his inability to see, he gets around things perfectly and happily living his life.

Here’s his story by Dillon’s human:

I used to work at the Animal Rescue League of Boston, and after I changed employment I continued to maintain a relationship with the shelter by volunteering as a foster parent. Each of our cats was at one point our foster — though we also fostered many other cats and found homes for all of them. Our youngest is Dillon, more famously known as “Dillon the Blind Cat”.

Dillon lived on the streets for four months before being rescued by the Animal Rescue League of Boston. He never fully developed eyes — his veterinarians were never certain if it was because of genetics or because of ocular herpes (a very common virus that most cats are exposed to at some point in their lives, whether they exhibit symptoms or not). His veterinarians were fairly sure, however, that he never had sight. To prevent ulceration and infection of what little, non-functional eyes he had developed, his veterinarians removed the organs and sewed him up. Because he was only a kitten, it allowed for his other senses to develop so fully and richly that today he carries on a very normal feline life — and yet he is also so extraordinary.

For us, it was love at first sight. We knew from the moment we saw him that we would adopt him, and he has completely adopted us as well. He follows us around like a little duckling, weaving in and out of our legs, “staring” up at us with a look of complete contentment. He is honestly such a happy cat.
He is constantly surprising us. Things we thought he would never do, like get up on furniture and run around the house, he has completely mastered. He hardly ever bumps into anything, as he has mapped out every inch of our place and knows it by heart. Even when we move furniture around, it doesn’t phase him. He’s used to it in seconds — his memory must be so sharp.

He also loves to challenge himself. While he does love his toys that make noise, like rattle mice and crinkly paper balls, his favorite toy is a little squishy ball that I actually find to be completely silent. He hears it, though, and he is so fascinated by it and what little sound it makes.

We have always tried to help him to develop his other senses. His favorite game to play is what we call “chase the kibble”, where we toss a single kibble across the kitchen floor at a time and he uses his keen hearing and smell to capture and eat it. He also loves to play fetch with his rattle mice, and he loves to stalk and chase his sisters around the house. He is a tenacious little cat!

He is undoubtedly inspiring for so many reasons. He is positive, curious, brave, and completely unrestrained by his lack of sight. We learn so much from him every day, and he constantly reminds us to appreciate the little things in life.

His loving fans on Instagram and Facebook give us so much hope for animals in need — there are so many caring people out there. Animal adoption is such a wonderful thing — it is rewarding for both the animal and the person, and makes such a great difference.

Most people who adopt will tell you that yes, they may have saved their animal, but in turn their animal has saved them as well. It is a relationship built 100% on companionship and love. We were lucky enough to find our three little ones, and we whole-heartedly recommend adopting to anyone else out there. It will surely change your life, just as it has changed ours. We thank everyone for embracing Dillon’s story, and we are so pleased to be able to make a difference for other animals in need.

My humans got me this chair. It’s great. Sometimes I let my sisters sleep on it, too.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon