[Vision2020] The University of Idaho (Fall, 1970)

Janesta janesta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 18:16:08 PDT 2014

The students sure did! WSU was much more radical.. I went to school in
Pullman for 8th grade. Dad thought it too liberal, and moved me to Moscow..
In 1969, I was in 9th grade, and kind of a rebel for my age *heh* Moving me
across the border didn't change me too much, other than the WSU campus was
too far away!.. A couple friends and I spent a lot of time on campus..
mingling with college kids.. growing up in Moscow was so much fun, and
educational. There is/was always something going on to enlighten ones mind
and viewpoint of the world.

For this Los Angeles young woman, Moscow was 25 years behind the times.I
was in an utter state of shock moving here. I had no idea people lived like
this! It was a grand surprise.. no gangs, no hard drugs in junior high..
Moscow was a small, folksy town.. the town motto was "Moscow, the City With
A Smile" Don't know when that ended... Yep.. my dresses were short, and my
tights were tie-dyed. 'twas an adventure indeed! Gary, no peeps from the
peanut gallery, you hear? *laugh*

In 1969 Moscow had almost 40 bars and taverns.. the drinking age was 19..
on a Friday night there was a steady stream of cars heading toward Moscow.
After closing time, there were a few less cars on the highway, as quite a
few kids knew the back roads back to Pullman. There was Rathskellers, where
the jock, fraternity and sorority kids hung out.. The Garden (still is),
Morts Club, The Spruce (best burgers anywhere!)  ..The Corner Club was
really on the corner, and now allows women customers.. The Capricorn
Ballroom, house band, Dusty Saddle Pickers...  Dirty Ernies was just past
Joel, on the right hand side of the road, at the curve.. Many a night
someone rode their horse in the front door for a dance... Old Joe Halls,
also near Joel, is now a church.. someone conducted a search of Latah
County law. Apparently, there was no law on the books about strippers. So,
for a very short period of time, Old Joe Hall's had strippers... Very short
time indeed! As long as it took for the commissioners to meet and change
the law!

Living out of town on the ranch, we got three TV channels.. KLEW, and the
university stations.. if the sun, moon, and stars were in perfect
alignment, KHQ from Spokane could barely be seen under the thick snow on
the screen. Obviously, there was no cable, satellite..

Wonder if anyone here remembers Wild Man Fischer? At the time, no one in my
group of friends knew where he came from. The word would get out Wild Man
Fischer is in town!!  He would kind of show up, and perform at the SUB, and
disappear from whence he came. He played wild indescribable music.. reading
wikipedia, I can see why.. he hung out with Frank Zappa!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Man_Fischer

Please excuse my ramble..

Love to all,
Janesta