[Vision2020] Caturday (September 28, 2013)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Sep 28 06:05:08 PDT 2013

Courtesy of Delaware Online (Wilmington, Delaware) at:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130922/NEWS/130922008/Wilmington-officer-rescues-kitten

---------------------------------

Wilmington officer rescues kitten
Wilmington Police Officer Daniel Humphrey is being hailed as a hero after rescuing a near-dead kitten from an unoccupied Wilmington apartment.

The landlord of a two-apartment house in the 1900 block of Lancaster Ave. called 911 after the upstairs tenant heard glass break and suspected an intruder was in the vacant downstairs.

Officer Rusty Reed, Humphrey and his partner Cpl. Erik Meese responded, finding the first floor had a broken back window. The upstairs tenant let them into the building and the officers jimmied the downstairs apartment’s locked door.

“Whoever left the apartment left personal belongings, an old mattress, clothes everywhere, left-over food that never got thrown away, garbage. There were roaches and fleas everywhere,” Humphrey said, and there were empty heroin bags. “It was disgusting.”

Then they started finding kittens, a total of five scattered around, all dead, and no sign of their mother. “It was a pretty disturbing sight, especially if you’re an animal lover,” he said.

The officers were about to leave, Humphrey said, “and as I was turning around I heard a little kitten just meow.”

The hunt was on. “We were just looking, looking, looking and couldn’t find it,” he said. They looked through the scattered clothes, under furnishings, “searching and searching ... hunting through rubbish and moving everything.”

Then there was another sound. “If he didn’t chirp, we wouldn’t have found him,” Humphrey said. “Finally, we found this little guy sitting behind a door next to a shoe ... hidden away.

“He was smaller than the dead kittens, way underweight and just covered with fleas,” he said.

As Officer Reed called the Delaware SPCA to start a cruelty investigation, Humphrey put the kitten into a laundry basket with some clothes and drove straight to Faithful Friends Animal Society.

The kitten, thought to be 3 or 4 weeks old, was in extremely critical condition, said Jane Pierantozzi, executive director of the nonprofit, no-kill shelter in Germay Industrial Park near Elsmere.

Wilmington Police Officer Daniel Humphrey is being hailed as a hero after rescuing a near-dead kitten from an unoccupied Wilmington apartment.

The cat rescued from the apartment is growing and in fair condition after a blood transfusion and other care.

Seeya at the Homecoming Parade, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon